Studies in Stagecraft, 1-minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Roypercy

Post by Roypercy » January 13th, 2021, 1:32 pm

My first stab at doing this, all feedback welcome

Roy

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Librivox_1-minute_sample.mp3

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » January 13th, 2021, 6:38 pm

Hi Roy!

Thanks for this - sounding great so far! As far as I can tell, just two small things that need adjustment:

- Make sure to leave between 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the very top of your recording, before your voice comes in. Normal recordings also require 5 seconds of silence at the very end, though I understand that you may have just left that out here as you were using a snippet of actual text rather than the test script. Just making note in case you weren't aware.

- Your volume is quite low at 68.3 dB - ideally we aim for 89 dB, but anywhere between 87 dB and 91 dB tends to be acceptable. Are you using the Checker program yet? If not, I definitely recommend it - it's designed to, well, check for these kind of things prior to upload. This Wiki article gives a little more info, as well as a download link.

Going forward, you'll likely want to raise the input level of your recording a bit so you're landing a little closer to the 89 dB range. Here's a Wiki article going into more detail on how to go about that.

Are you using Audacity to record, or another program? If you're using Audacity, you can also fix the volume issue without much trouble using the Amplify effect - here's an article on the Wiki that walks you through the process. That said, I would recommend adjusting your input settings first, just so you don't have to Amplify quite so much.

Alternatively you can also install the ReplayGain plugin, which does an excellent job of measuring your volume & adjusting it as close to 89 dB as possible. It's not mandatory, of course, but as someone whose recordings always need volume adjustment it's been a bit of a godsend for me. Here's a Wiki article with all the info you need to get that up and running if you so choose, as well as a video from one of our members, the wonderful Phil Chenevert, explaining how to use it.

Pro-Tip: if there's ever anything Librivox-y that you're unclear about, I highly recommend digging through Phil's channel, he's got videos on pretty much everything you need to know to excel around here. Another member, Adrian Stephens, also has some very useful introductory videos, if video learning is helpful to you.

That's about all the feedback I can think of for now - otherwise all of your tech specs seem bang on, and your reading sounds great.

So, to recap: See what you can do to adjust the volume, add a little space at the top (as well as the 5 seconds at the end, just for the sake of the test), and reupload the file as Test2.

I'll keep an eye out, but ideally one of our more tech-savvy Librivoxers will also stop by to lend an ear & give the final OK, just in case I missed anything (giving test feedback is usually something I leave for those better equipped than myself, I just figured I'd pop in and give these preliminary notes in the meantime :) )

Thanks again!

Roypercy

Post by Roypercy » January 14th, 2021, 12:10 pm

This is great, thanks for the feedback!

Roy