1-Minute Test Completed

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 3rd, 2021, 10:11 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/test_ReaderVol2.mp3

I used an IPhone to record along with TwistedWave app.

Thank you

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » January 4th, 2021, 10:09 am

Hi Ha'ani (?)

Hope I didn't butcher your name too badly. Your test sample meets LV specs, however there is a very loud hiss in the background. I'm not sure why. iPhone recordings are usually pretty clean (I have one. If you viewed the iPhone tutorial, I made it.)

The TwistedWave mobile app does not have a noise removal, so this will need to be fixed some other way. Did you need to normalize your recording? All I can think of is that your initial recording volume is too low, and normalizing raised the noise floor. When recording, the meter should show into the yellow, but not the red. You may also be too far from the phone. You need to be within 4 or 5 inches to get a good recording.

Make a new sample labeled test2 and post it in a reply to this thread.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 7th, 2021, 11:39 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/test2_ReaderVol2.mp3

I’m really not sure what the hissing sound is in the background. I’m in a quiet room and there is no extra noises around me. Hopefully this is better.

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » January 8th, 2021, 9:36 am

Your first sample was actually better, so ignore my bad advice and go back to what you were doing before. Your recording volume now is too low, which makes the background worse.

I honestly don't know what's going on. I tried a test with my iPhone XR, and the background noise is 18db less, which is huge. So, can I ask you for another try? And please upload it to the folder "tests - tests" at the bottom of the menu, not availle - that's not for tests.

My website
My Librivox reader page

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 9th, 2021, 10:42 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test3_ReaderVol2.mp3

Here you go! I followed the instructions from the video you made and I had set the normalize setting to 0 then back to -4. There is still the same background noise, but it is better when I am closer to the mic.

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » January 10th, 2021, 10:47 am

Yeah, it's just too much. And I can't replicate it on my phone, either. Is it possible your phone's mic is damaged, or clogged or covered over? Is the case in the way of the mic? It doesn't sound like external noise at all - it's something that's happening with the phone.

My website
My Librivox reader page

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 10th, 2021, 7:51 pm

It is possible that it is the phone. However, I tried it on the iPhone 6s and my iPhone XR, and the background noise is still present. I haven't damaged my phone, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm hoping I can start recording in a week or even sooner.

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 10th, 2021, 7:53 pm

I will take 2 recordings of the 1 minute test again and post it here.

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 10th, 2021, 8:24 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test4_ReaderVol2.mp3

This recording was taken on my IPhone XR.

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 10th, 2021, 8:27 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test5_ReaderVol2.mp3

And this recording was taken on the iPhone 6s.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 13th, 2021, 6:56 am

I downloaded tests 3-5. Your test #4 is definitely the best. There is still some background noise, but without using a better microphone and/or software that does noise reduction, this is probably the best you'll get.

Do you have access to a regular computer? If you had to, you could record on your phone then do the editing (and noise reduction) on a regular computer using something like Audacity.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories
Gospel of Matthew: Matthew, YLT

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 13th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Yes I do have a computer, but it is a hp chromebook, and it does not support audacity or Linux. That’s the only reason why I downloaded and paid for the TwistedWave App on my IPhone to complete recordings from there.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 14th, 2021, 7:22 am

On your test #4 using Twisted Wave, when you highlight the end silence and attempt to amplify it - does it give you a suggested number of about 35.6 dB?

While your recording setup is not ideal by any means, what I'm thinking is that if you can keep your noise floor such that when you highlight the silence and look at the suggested amplification number, you keep that number as high as you can. (The lower the noise, the more it will say it can be amplified. This is called the Noise Floor.) Try to stay above 35 dB.

Meanwhile, if you are planning on recording a lot, I'd look into a better setup. You will need to tell people who flag your recordings for background noise that you are unable to do it in your software and have no way of getting any that does it. That's about the best scenario I can suggest with what you have.

Or... did you see this post? "i downloaded a free app from the app store that works for recording with my chromebook. it is super voice recorder. I then edit the recordings with the audacity extension" viewtopic.php?p=1835059#p1835059 Maybe that would work for you as well and give you better sound.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Adventure/Travel: Across Mongolian Plains
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Adult dog stories: Best Dog Stories
Gospel of Matthew: Matthew, YLT

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 15th, 2021, 5:04 pm

I sent a message to GeraldAMoe who is using a chromebook as well. I am giving his suggestions a try. I went back to Test 4, and when I highlighted the end, the highest number of the amplification gain goes up to 24 dB. Will that number be enough?

ReaderVol2

Post by ReaderVol2 » January 15th, 2021, 5:14 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test6_ReaderVol2.mp3

I got rid of the hissing sound between the times I did not speak. I actually put the amplification to -24 dB. Hopefully the background sounds way better! Thank you