One Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
chancebarrington

Post by chancebarrington » January 2nd, 2021, 3:51 pm

Good evening,

Here is my 1-minute test. I welcome any and all feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivoxtest1.wav

Software: Wavepad
Mic: USB

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » January 2nd, 2021, 3:55 pm

Hi, welcome to librivox :D

Your files need to be in mp3. I think in wavepad if you do 'save as' it will give you the option to export in mp3?

Please upload again in mp3 format and post the link here. Then I can check other tech specs :)

chancebarrington

Post by chancebarrington » January 2nd, 2021, 4:11 pm

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » January 2nd, 2021, 4:22 pm

Just one tech spec to fix. Recordings should be 128 kbps. I'm not 100% sure how this is fixed on wavepad but a google search came up with this
FILE -> SAVE (or SAVE AS)

a window opens prompting for a file name and a location where you want to save the file. It defaults to WAV files. When you click the SAVE button, another little window opens with choices for FORMAT and ATTRIBUTES.

The default attribute seems to be

8.000kHz, 8 Bit, Mono 7 kb/sec

but the drop-down menu offers several other choices.
Your volume is also too low. It is around 70dB and needs to be 86 - 92dB. Does Wavepad have an option to amplify? or to turn up recording volume?

Once you've gotten bitrate and volume fixed please upload the test again and post the link here :)

chancebarrington

Post by chancebarrington » January 2nd, 2021, 4:58 pm

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » January 2nd, 2021, 5:11 pm

Volume is a little higher in this one but still needs to come up by at least 4dB. This recording is 82dB :)

The bit rate is still not 128 kbps and now the bit rate has changed from constant to variable. It must be constant. This is how your settings should look when you support.

Please give it another try :)

chancebarrington

Post by chancebarrington » January 2nd, 2021, 6:11 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/tryingthistestagain.mp3

Okay, we'll give this one more go tonight. If it doesn't fit the bill now, I'll queue up all the Youtube videos i can find. Also, can you give me a link to this checker I keep reading about? I cannot seem to find one on here. That will probably save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » January 2nd, 2021, 6:15 pm

All settings are now correct but the volume is a tiny bit too high in this one at 93.6dB
The checker tool is here https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/ but i dont think it can be installed on chromebooks, which is why i didn't mention it before hand.

chancebarrington

Post by chancebarrington » January 2nd, 2021, 6:35 pm

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » January 2nd, 2021, 6:54 pm

You're going to want to throw something at me soon :help:

this one is still too loud at 93. HOWEVER, i think i've found a way to make it easier for you to judge volume in wavepad.

do this
To add dB markers, go to Options-->Appearance and check the "Show decibel (db) markers on waveforms by default" box

and some markers will show to the left. Your waveform should peak sort of halfway between the 12 and the 6 like this

chancebarrington

Post by chancebarrington » January 2nd, 2021, 7:26 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/thisisitimsureofit.mp3

I'm sure it's you that wants to throw something at me :lol: Praying this is the one

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » January 2nd, 2021, 7:49 pm

Not at all. I would love to throw something at your chromebook, though. they're hard to set up for librivox because they're not compatible with anything :shock: getting volume correct is the hardest thing to do anyway, and especially so when you cant use any of the usual tools to help with is.

Now it's 83.6dB so needs to be amplified by 4dB. If you go to 'effect' 'amplify' and set 'gain (db)' to '4dB'. Once you see how the waveforms look with that it should give you a general idea of how things should look volume wise.

Really, (others might disagree with me here though) as long as your other settings are correct it's not the end of the world if your volume is incorrect, whilst you're getting used to it, as long as its around where it is now. it should be spotted in pl and you can be advised to amplify or lower volume.

chancebarrington

Post by chancebarrington » January 2nd, 2021, 8:10 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/imdoneforthenightafterthisone.mp3

I would just love to throw my Chromebook and have a Macbook Air thrown back at me :lol: After I get this right, I can go back to my levels and set the volume level as a default, so that's a bonus.

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » January 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm

87dB, so this one passes :D

chancebarrington

Post by chancebarrington » January 2nd, 2021, 8:27 pm

FINALLY!!! Lord have mercy, I thought this would never end. Now I can set the defaults. Thank you so much for your help.