New Reader Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
MegPatt

Post by MegPatt » December 14th, 2020, 10:17 am

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » December 14th, 2020, 10:29 am

Hi Meg, Welcome to Librivox :D

There's just 2 things that you need to fix which should be pretty easy. Could you let me know what software you are using to record so that i know which instructions you need? Thanks :)

MegPatt

Post by MegPatt » December 14th, 2020, 10:52 am

Audacity

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » December 14th, 2020, 10:58 am

This recording has some dc bias. this can be seen by the line that is running across the middle of the recordings. so if you see that line, you need to normalise in order to get everything central. Select all of the recording and then Click on 'effects' and then 'normalize.' Have 'remove dc onset' checked. If anything else is checked, then uncheck it. Then press okay and it should be fixed.

There is some background noise, so you might want to run noise reduction. Instructions for this can be found here https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics

Ther is no need to record a new test, but once you have made these fixes please upload the new file and post the link here. Let me know if you have any questions :)

MegPatt

Post by MegPatt » December 14th, 2020, 11:18 am

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » December 14th, 2020, 11:33 am

The DC bias is fixed but there's still some background noise. Did you try out the noise reduction tool? i'm wondering, do you have a fan or something turned on or is it most probably your computer that is causing it?

i think you're probably okay to start recording for projects anyway as the noise doesn't overpower your voice, but your recordings would sound better if we can lessen it a little :)

MegPatt

Post by MegPatt » December 14th, 2020, 11:45 am

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » December 14th, 2020, 12:06 pm

it's still sounding the same.

here's what you want to do:

Select the few seconds silence that you have at the end, go to 'effects' 'noise reduction' and click 'get noise profile'

Select the whole of the recording and then go to 'effects' 'noise reduction' again.

use the following settings:
Noise reduction: 16
Sensitivity: 6.00
frequency smoothing: 6

Then click on ok.

That's what i did with your test and it's cleaned up okay so it should work out for you too :D

MegPatt

Post by MegPatt » December 14th, 2020, 1:34 pm

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » December 14th, 2020, 1:42 pm

oh no :( for some reason the overall volume of your recording has dropped and i can't understand why because that didn't happen for me

The only thing i can think is that 'get noise profile' picked the whole recording. you have to have a part where you're not speaking highlighted when you get the noise profile, as that tells the software which noise it should remove. if everything is highlighted it will turn down the volume on everything.

Phil has a video here that demonstrates the tool being used, if that's any help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw&ab_channel=PhilChenevert

MegPatt

Post by MegPatt » December 14th, 2020, 1:52 pm

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » December 14th, 2020, 2:11 pm

It's still knocked your volume down from 89dB to 79dB and librivox aims for volumes 86-92.

without being able to actually see what's happening, i don't know what's going wrong so i can't advise you onanything different to try.

You could just amplify after noise reduction but that defeats the object a little because it will also amplify any background noise.

I'm going to go and post a thread in 'need help got advice' and see if anyone else can figure out what might be going on.

MegPatt

Post by MegPatt » December 14th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Thank you. Am I able to move forward and volunteer to read at this point?

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane » December 14th, 2020, 2:21 pm

I'm going to say yes, as long as your volume is the same as it was in the tests before we started to try out noise reduction. The background noise certainly isn't the worst i've ever heard, but it would be good if we can eventually get it sorted.

You will probably have to use the normalize effect to centre each of your recordings but that didn't seem to have any problems :)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 14th, 2020, 3:14 pm

I think it would be helpful for Meg to identify specifically what section she chose for the noise cleaning profile. I saw a good section towards the end that could be used. Just a second or two seconds of a profile will be enough. This selection (top button) will not alter anything, Meg, until you then select the whole length of the recording and then run the effect. (The lower button.)

EDIT: Oh, and make sure your setting is on Reduce and not Residue.
Not feeling well. I'll get back to work as soon as possible. My LibriVox: https://librivox.org/sections/readers/13278