New 1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
czn629

Post by czn629 » November 19th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Hello everyone. I'm Allegra and I am new here. I just completed my first 1-minute test using Windows 10 Audacity.

I look forward to receiving feedback! Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_final_czn629.mp3

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 19th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Allegra,

Welcome to Librivox! You've got a lovely, clear reading style. Very easy to listen to.

Your volume is just a bit high. You're at 92 dB. We target 89, with 87-91 being the acceptable range. You're not clipping (where your sound file gets cut off at the top of bottom), so you can deal with the volume using the replaygain plug-in for audacity to check volume, and then using the Amplify effect to adjust (-1 in this case). Info is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

You've got some background noise that would benefit from cleaning. Info on that is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noisecleaning_With_Pics

I applied noisecleaning to your file, and it took out some, but still left me feeling like you were talking to me while driving in the car. What type of mic are you using? It's not doing your lovely voice any favors and I wonder if there is something we can adjust there to help improve the starting point of your recording before you make another test to address the volume and noise in this one.

MaryAnn

czn629

Post by czn629 » November 20th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Thank you for your feedback, MaryAnn! What kind of mic would you recommend I purchase, preferably from Amazon? I thought the mic on my Beats headset would work well but obviously not. I will wait to hear back from you before I make the mic purchase and then I will record the test again.

Thanks again!

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 21st, 2020, 10:57 am

Do you have anything else around with a microphone? I've been recording on my logitech webcam recently (It's a c920) ... Your computer mic might work, but I'm concerned that may pick up noise from your fan ... depends on the type of computer. Look around and see what options you have.

It's worth experimenting before you buy something. Record a sample with whatever you've got around, and then listen to the samples with headphones so you can get a good comparison.

If you don't find anything that works to get started, then there are a number of choices. I'm not going to recommend something, because that's a very personal decision, and can depend on your expectations and budget. I did a search in the forum, and found a couple of recent chats about mics ... there are a lot of older chats, but it's hard to know what is still available, technology changes so fast.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=77698
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83444
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69485

Great thing is that with gaming, and podcasting, and technology developments, there are a lot of choices. Look for something that has a USB port and gets good reviews. And if you want to check a specific mic with other readers here, start a new thread in the Need Help, Got Advice forum. We have a lot of audiophiles with really good (and expensive) equipment, but also a lot of people with good equipment at a much lower price point. Just depends on what you're looking for.

MaryAnn

czn629

Post by czn629 » November 24th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Hello MaryAnn. Here is my new recording. I used noise reduction this time, lowered the volume, ran it through the Checker application, and used my laptop mic. Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_final_2_czn629.mp3

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 24th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Allegra,

Your volume is now on the low end at 86.7. Watch that you don't go any lower.

Otherwise, this test is fine. I'll mark your thread OK and you can head off and record!

Glad to have you on the team.

MaryAnn

czn629

Post by czn629 » November 24th, 2020, 11:41 pm

Thank you very much!