Mic Test Listener Feedback Wanted [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ScottRoe

Post by ScottRoe » November 19th, 2020, 7:32 am

Hi everyone

Was asked to do a mic test before starting my first recording and then post here for feedback

Thanks for the help

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_scottroe.mp3

ScottRoe

Post by ScottRoe » November 19th, 2020, 9:32 am

yh I made mistake, I read thirtieth as thirteenth

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 19th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Scott,

Welcome to LV! That 30th/13th is tricky!

Your technical specs are good, volume is good (you come in at 88.1 dB, we target 89 dB with 87-91 being ok).

Just a little background noise, not enough to bother me on this recording, but you may want to watch it in the future. I wonder if your microphone has a noise canceling feature because I hear (and see) the background noise most when you are not talking and at the end of your recording. If there is noise canceling on your mic, we've found it's best to turn that off and use the noise reduction feature of Audacity. It gives you better sound quality in the end. There's info on noise cleaning over here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noise_Cleaning

I'll mark your test OK. Look forward to seeing you around the forums.

MaryAnn

ScottRoe

Post by ScottRoe » November 20th, 2020, 12:20 am

Hi MarryAnn

Thanks for the feed back, unfortunately my mic doesn't have a noise canceling function as far as I know: I'm using a a rode nt1a condenser mic. I Live on the ground floor on a main road so as far as the background noise I'll try and keep my recordings to quieter times during the day and reduce the mic sensitivity and see how it goes

Thanks Again

audiomike

Post by audiomike » November 20th, 2020, 7:16 am

Hello Scott,

Your recording has a really heavy low end. This is usually caused by something called the Proximity Effect, i.e. being too close to the mic. It happens when using a good mic like the NT1a. Alternatively, it could also be your natural deep voice. Either way, it affects intelligibility and needs to be tamed a little.

To get your voice to sound a bit more natural, try the following in Audacity:

Select your entire file
Go to Effect/Classic Filters
Set it up as follows:
Filter Type: Butterworth
Subtype: Highpass
Order: 2
Cutoff: 200 (You can play with this one using Preview until you like the sound)
Click OK

This will remove that heavy low end. It will also remove the hum that was there between 100 and 250 Hz.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 20th, 2020, 8:41 am

ScottRoe wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 12:20 am
Hi MarryAnn

Thanks for the feed back, unfortunately my mic doesn't have a noise canceling function as far as I know: I'm using a a rode nt1a condenser mic. I Live on the ground floor on a main road so as far as the background noise I'll try and keep my recordings to quieter times during the day and reduce the mic sensitivity and see how it goes

Thanks Again
Scott,
I thought your recording was fine, except for the noise I heard at the end when you didn't say anything. If you do a pass of noise cleaning using that as the profile, that bit will disappear.

Audiomike has some good suggestions if you want to work on how your voice sounds. That's a question of personal preference and something you can work on as you go.

You are good to start recording whenever you want.

MaryAnn