1 minute test [DUTCH] [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Hessel

Post by Hessel » November 10th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 11th, 2020, 3:56 am

Hello Hessel and welcome to the forum. I hope you understand English, because, although I manage to understand the gist of Dutch, I don't speak it.

You didn't have to record such a huge test ! :shock: 30 seconds usually is enough to check the technical settings. What text did you read this from ? (just curious)

In any case, nice clear reading and the technical settings are all up to standard. :thumbs: So this test is immediately OK and you can start recording in one of our projects. If you want to exclusively read in Dutch, I am afraid at the moment there are only 2 group projects open for you:

1. A stage play, if you want to try to act out a bit (it's great fun, I can tell you :mrgreen: ). Still two male roles open here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=56088

2. The multilingual project: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=83231 where you can choose any text, prose, poetry, fiction or non-fiction. But please, before you record anything, post in the thread and show us the link to your online source. Not every text is in the public domain and can be used for Librivox, so we need to check first whether your source is ok to use.

Maybe I'll see you there. Have fun on the forum !

Sonia

Hessel

Post by Hessel » November 14th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Hi Sonja,

Thanks a bunch for your effort. You're a champ!

Ah! I forgot to mention its name: De Buurman (The Neighbour) by Franz Kafka. This story is not in the public domain by the way, but it's fun to read ;)

The group projects you mentioned, the mulitilingual, do I understand correctly that I can propose any short work from the public domain? I'll have to find some Dutch texts, which I surely am able to do. However, would it be possible to propose a self-translated work? I'm stoked to translate short stories of Kafka and read it myself. For sake of quality, I do feel comfortable translating, though I'm no professional.

Cheers,

Hessel

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 15th, 2020, 2:20 am

Hessel wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 12:00 pm
Ah! I forgot to mention its name: De Buurman (The Neighbour) by Franz Kafka. This story is not in the public domain by the way, but it's fun to read ;)
oh, we cannot accept non PD-texts here, unfortunately, so the less said about it the better ;)
The group projects you mentioned, the mulitilingual, do I understand correctly that I can propose any short work from the public domain? I'll have to find some Dutch texts, which I surely am able to do.
you have to be careful to find a trustworthy site for the texts, because anybody can mention online that a text is PD, but that is not necessarily the truth. :lol: So we check quite thoroughly, so before you record anything, please post the link (in the multilingual thread) and we can check whether it's ok.

A safe site is gutenberg.org, maybe you find something you want to read from their Dutch catalogue: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/nl

Another good site is archive.org where you can see the original scans of the books, and you can check yourself whether it's been published 1924 or earlier.

Only careful with the deathdate of the authors or translators, because since you are resident in Holland, they need to have been dead for 70 years already. Europeans have to adhere to EU law as well as US law here.
However, would it be possible to propose a self-translated work? I'm stoked to translate short stories of Kafka and read it myself. For sake of quality, I do feel comfortable translating, though I'm no professional.
no, unfortunately we don't accept self-published works. Sorry that Kafka is not useable for you yet. :?

Good luck finding another text that you like.

Sonia

Hessel

Post by Hessel » November 16th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Thanks Sonia :)

Oh! I happen to have found a Dutch translation of Michael Kohlhaas - Heinrich von Kleist. The translator passed away in 1949. Does this mean I can choose this book to record? Otherwise I'll follow your advice to join the short story-collection ;)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 17th, 2020, 12:58 am

Hessel wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 12:04 pm
Oh! I happen to have found a Dutch translation of Michael Kohlhaas - Heinrich von Kleist. The translator passed away in 1949. Does this mean I can choose this book to record? Otherwise I'll follow your advice to join the short story-collection ;)
the author has been dead for 70 years, so yes that is not a problem for you. But I need to see the link to the text to check whether the edition is public domain as well and whether the site is reliable. Can you give me the link ?

So you want to do this as solo ? You can do that of course, but I would highly recommend to participate first in a group project. That way you can start with a small section, and see how the whole procedure here goes and how much time you need for one section. We noticed that people who start with a long solo right away often realize it's much more work than they thought and they lose interest out of frustration and we end up with many unfinished solos. :( You can prevent that if you try the water before you jump in. ;)

Sonia

Hessel

Post by Hessel » November 17th, 2020, 11:52 am

Thanks for your quick reply Sonia. I'll start with something smaller: the multilingual short-story project.

I have been looking online for some fun short stories to read. To be honest, I haven't found anything to my taste. I'll look at it again in hope to find something. At the moment I'm not sure how I can participate with reading in general.

Did you come across this problem yourself? I'm keen to hear.

Hessel

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 18th, 2020, 1:36 am

Hessel wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 11:52 am
I have been looking online for some fun short stories to read. To be honest, I haven't found anything to my taste. I'll look at it again in hope to find something. At the moment I'm not sure how I can participate with reading in general.
a good source is Gutenberg, here are all the Dutch books on offer:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/nl

And you can see the death-dates for the authors, so you know which ones are ok for you to read. Maybe you find something there.
Did you come across this problem yourself? I'm keen to hear.
well I read a lot in English, French and German, so I always find something to record. But yes, for my own mothertongue Luxembourgish there is not that much online, it's the problem with the "rarer" languages.

I check on Gutenberg and on archive.org, where there are plenty of original scans. You can narrow the search down then by clicking on the language Dutch for example. I randomly now checked for "sprookjes" and narrowing it down, I found two books with fairy tales:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=sprookjes&and[]=mediatype%3A%22texts%22&and[]=year%3A%221903%22&and[]=year%3A%221891%22&and[]=year%3A%221842%22

just as an example. You can look for your favourite author maybe and check for yourself.

Hope this helps. :)

Sonia

Hessel

Post by Hessel » November 19th, 2020, 3:13 am

Thanks Sonia! You're helping me out, again.

I'm under the impression that the archive you looked for 'sprookjes' need not be of the public domain. Are for example these 'sprookjes' free for me to read?

If Gutenberg is the only place for books for me to read, I'll have a look at it again... It's too bad that Librivox doesn't allow just any book which has no authors rights. Then I'd be already reading!

Cheers,

Hessel

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 19th, 2020, 3:16 am

Hessel wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 3:13 am
I'm under the impression that the archive you looked for 'sprookjes' need not be of the public domain. Are for example these 'sprookjes' free for me to read?
which ones do you mean ? Link ?

If you mean this for example: https://archive.org/details/sprookjeslegend00coecgoog/page/n9/mode/2up
yes it's from 1903 as you can see, so this is public domain
It's too bad that Librivox doesn't allow just any book which has no authors rights. Then I'd be already reading!
yes our servers are in the US so we need to stick to US laws and therefore only books from before 1924 are public domain. We don't want a lawsuit, so we are very strict with our sources.

Sonia