Please listen [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
echo90

Post by echo90 » November 8th, 2020, 7:08 pm

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 8th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Welcome!

Sounds good! There's one tech setting to fix, and then I'm going to comment on your volume. :) Are you using Audacity?

Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

Your volume is slightly on the low side. You could increase it just a little bit, but if you do that, you might end up clipping (going over maximum, which can cause distortion) if you have a spike like you do on "actual" at about 0:25. :) I'd suggest upping the input a little bit, then just watching your wave form and trying not to blast out a vowel like that. It takes practice to moderate the voice, so don't stress too much if you end up clipping a little bit. You'll get the hang of it. :)

I hope this makes sense, and that it isn't discouraging! I think your recording is really good overall; it's just those little things that take it from really good to great. ;)

Try adjusting the bit rate, then upload the new test (post the link in this same thread) so we can double check that. When that's OK, you'll be good to go. 8-)
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

echo90

Post by echo90 » November 21st, 2020, 7:14 pm

Thank you for the advice.
I do use audacity. I have made a second sound test with the recommended changes.
Once again thank you for taking the time to listen to my sound test

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test2_echo90.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 21st, 2020, 7:24 pm

Good! Volume is a bit too high now. :roll: But as a BC, I'd rather readers' files be a little too loud than too quiet.

Numerically, it should be between about 86 and 92 dB. You're at about 93.

There's a small program the spouse of a LibriVoxer developed to check the tech settings. If you're game, you can download it and use it to check the volume and other settings. It's here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/

The volume information is in the Information tab.

BUT I'm going to mark this as OK, because you're close enough. ;)
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons