1 MINUTE TEST - Calvin

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
calvinzurc
Posts: 11
Joined: October 19th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Post by calvinzurc » October 30th, 2020, 6:53 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_calvinzurc.mp3

Hello, I just finished doing the 1 minute test and would love to hear all of your feedback. I wanted to start contributing this weekend so your feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Things I used:
- Audacity
- Macbook (MacOs)
- USB mic type

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20134
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: Basking by the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » October 30th, 2020, 7:32 pm

calvinzurc wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 6:53 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_calvinzurc.mp3

Hello, I just finished doing the 1 minute test and would love to hear all of your feedback. I wanted to start contributing this weekend so your feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Things I used:
- Audacity
- Macbook (MacOs)
- USB mic type
Hi Calvin and welcome! Your voice is fine but you have two things I would like you to fix and then make another test:

1) We need a bit rate of 128 kbs constant; yours is currently at 99 kbs variable.

2) We aim at a volume of 89 decibels; your test is at 84.3 a bit low.

To fix your bit rate is simiple. follow this little video https://youtu.be/K2JWKadgtdE
to raise your volume is also easy. Your microphone may have a gain knob to increase the volume and Audacity has a slider bar called Recording Volume that allow you to control the volume of the input to the software. I have made a video but forgot to upload it to YouTube so it's not available. But you can figure it out.

So..... increase your voloume by about 5 decibels, fix your bit rate on export, call it TEST 2, upload tous and put the link in this thread so I will see it quickly. And you will be recording in a jiffy! ask if this is confusing. :D
All I'm saying is that the house doesn't fill up with annoying fruit flies when I buy donuts

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

calvinzurc
Posts: 11
Joined: October 19th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Post by calvinzurc » October 31st, 2020, 3:06 am

philchenevert wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 7:32 pm
calvinzurc wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 6:53 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_calvinzurc.mp3

Hello, I just finished doing the 1 minute test and would love to hear all of your feedback. I wanted to start contributing this weekend so your feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Things I used:
- Audacity
- Macbook (MacOs)
- USB mic type
Hi Calvin and welcome! Your voice is fine but you have two things I would like you to fix and then make another test:

1) We need a bit rate of 128 kbs constant; yours is currently at 99 kbs variable.

2) We aim at a volume of 89 decibels; your test is at 84.3 a bit low.

To fix your bit rate is simiple. follow this little video https://youtu.be/K2JWKadgtdE
to raise your volume is also easy. Your microphone may have a gain knob to increase the volume and Audacity has a slider bar called Recording Volume that allow you to control the volume of the input to the software. I have made a video but forgot to upload it to YouTube so it's not available. But you can figure it out.

So..... increase your voloume by about 5 decibels, fix your bit rate on export, call it TEST 2, upload tous and put the link in this thread so I will see it quickly. And you will be recording in a jiffy! ask if this is confusing. :D
Thank you for the corrections, Phil! Hopefully the bit rate and volume for this recording has been fixed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_calvinzurc.mp3

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20134
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: Basking by the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » October 31st, 2020, 6:51 am

Thank you for the corrections, Phil! Hopefully the bit rate and volume for this recording has been fixed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_calvinzurc.mp3
Top
No they haven't Calvin, your bit rate is now 133 bps variable and your volume has acutally dropped to 83.4 decibels.

So please give it another try, fix your bit rate to 128 kbps constant and incrase your volume to around 89 decibels and make another test, call it TEST 3, . I will check it out for you. Watch the video I put in an earlier post. If you have any questions, please ask. Don't give up, you are almost there!
All I'm saying is that the house doesn't fill up with annoying fruit flies when I buy donuts

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

calvinzurc
Posts: 11
Joined: October 19th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Post by calvinzurc » November 1st, 2020, 11:23 pm

philchenevert wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 6:51 am
Thank you for the corrections, Phil! Hopefully the bit rate and volume for this recording has been fixed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_calvinzurc.mp3
Top
No they haven't Calvin, your bit rate is now 133 bps variable and your volume has acutally dropped to 83.4 decibels.

So please give it another try, fix your bit rate to 128 kbps constant and incrase your volume to around 89 decibels and make another test, call it TEST 3, . I will check it out for you. Watch the video I put in an earlier post. If you have any questions, please ask. Don't give up, you are almost there!
Hey again Phil,

Thank you so much for your patience! Here's me trying it again and hopefully it should all be good this time around.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_calvinzurc.mp3

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20134
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: Basking by the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » November 2nd, 2020, 12:57 am

Hey again Phil,

Thank you so much for your patience! Here's me trying it again and hopefully it should all be good this time around.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_calvinzurc.mp3
And the 3rd time is the trick! You have the official OK to record lots and lots! :thumbs: We recommend something short to start with like poetry because you will need to edit. Have fun and ask questions. Image
All I'm saying is that the house doesn't fill up with annoying fruit flies when I buy donuts

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

Post Reply