1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
loupo

Post by loupo » October 28th, 2020, 3:10 am

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 28th, 2020, 8:18 am

loupo wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 3:10 am
Cheers
Lou

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_loupo.mp3
Welcome Lou. What a delightful voice you have! You have the official OK to record lots and lots for LibriVox.
A note of caution however is that your volume is a tish high at 93 decibels. It would be wise to turn it down a bit when doing recordings; we aim at 86 to 92 decibels.

Now head on over to our Readers |Wanted: short works and claim something. :clap:
All I'm saying is that the house doesn't fill up with annoying fruit flies when I buy donuts

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

loupo

Post by loupo » October 28th, 2020, 8:30 am

Thanks for the feedback Phil. I've noted that. It certainly helps to have a new pair of ears listening!

Lou

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 28th, 2020, 8:33 am

loupo wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 8:30 am
Thanks for the feedback Phil. I've noted that. It certainly helps to have a new pair of ears listening!

Lou
Great. You sound like you have done lots of microphone work, a real professional in your diction. Great to have you here and ask lots of questions!!
All I'm saying is that the house doesn't fill up with annoying fruit flies when I buy donuts

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

loupo

Post by loupo » October 29th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Hi Phil

I do have a question actually. I've recorded another book but the volume is coming up quieter this time at around 85db (going by the ACX check) Is this too quiet? If so, is there a way to raise it without having to re-record. It passes the ACX check but comes in under your guidelines this time. I have been toying with amplify, but it seems to reduce the db rather than raise it.

Many thanks
Lou
philchenevert wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 8:33 am
loupo wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 8:30 am

Lou
Great. You sound like you have done lots of microphone work, a real professional in your diction. Great to have you here and ask lots of questions!!

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 29th, 2020, 4:09 pm

I do have a question actually. I've recorded another book but the volume is coming up quieter this time at around 85db (going by the ACX check) Is this too quiet? If so, is there a way to raise it without having to re-record. It passes the ACX check but comes in under your guidelines this time. I have been toying with amplify, but it seems to reduce the db rather than raise it.
Lou. The Recording Volume slider bar in Audacity will increase your volume if moved to the right. It is better to use the Checker program I think since we all rely on it to check volume of MP3 files. Also here is a way to use your eyes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9WF82rf81o

Keep asking stuff, we love it. ACX has different requirements than we do so it might be better to use ours for our files. I know it was a pain when I recorded for ACX to keep switching all my settings from LibriVox to ACX. And all too often I would forget osomething and it would bit me.

loupo

Post by loupo » October 30th, 2020, 2:49 am

Thank you, the checker is brilliant. I feel back in control!

Down to a complete misunderstanding of noise floor vs volume on my part. I watched a few of your videos and feel far more informed. Thank you!

Lou

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 30th, 2020, 6:11 am

loupo wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 2:49 am

Down to a complete misunderstanding of noise floor vs volume on my part. I watched a few of your videos and feel far more informed. Thank you!

Lou
Oh, I am so glad! We throw around those terms with abandon and they are confusing! Because of your great feedback I am making a video right now called "Volume? Gain? Noise? Decibels? What are you guys talking about?!!" to deal with some of these basic terms.

loupo

Post by loupo » October 30th, 2020, 9:10 am

Wonderful! I'll definitely watch. Give us the nod when it's done. :clap:

Lou
philchenevert wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 6:11 am
loupo wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 2:49 am

Lou
Oh, I am so glad! We throw around those terms with abandon and they are confusing! Because of your great feedback I am making a video right now called "Volume? Gain? Noise? Decibels? What are you guys talking about?!!" to deal with some of these basic terms.