1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
RozeLynn
Posts: 12
Joined: October 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Post by RozeLynn » October 14th, 2020, 9:44 pm

I tried the checker and it had me lower the volume so I used a filter. It says it passes now...I have a crappy pair of headphones, but to me it sounded tinny. Looking forward to feedback so I can get recording!


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lynnetteswain.mp3

USB microphone
Windows 10
Audacity
Last edited by RozeLynn on October 22nd, 2020, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynnette :rose:

:!: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. :!:

adrianstephens
Posts: 1397
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 15th, 2020, 1:58 am

RozeLynn wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:44 pm
I tried the checker and it had me lower the volume so I used a filter. It says it passes now...I have a crappy pair of headphones, but to me it sounded tinny. Looking forward to feedback so I can get recording!


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lynnetteswain.mp3

USB microphone
Windows 10
Audacity
Hello Lynnette,

Welcome to librivox. Thank you for participating here.  It’s always great to meet new readers.
You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.


I’m sorry, but you need to make change(s) in order to meet Librivox’s technical standards.

Required: There is a fair amount of of background noise. It sounds to me like a fan.
You can listen to the noise by taking a portion of silence and normalizing it (Audacity Effects/Normalize) to that you can hear it clearly. Think to yourself, what is the source of the noise?
There are three things you might try to reduce the background noise. You might need to do more than one of these.

To make the noise visible in Audacity you need to switch the track’s display mode to “Waveform (db)” using the little pulldown arrow just to the right of the track name (prior to Audacity 2.4) or in Edit/Preferences/Tracks/Default Waveform scale: Logarithmic (dB) (Audacity 2.4 onwards). I recommend leaving it there, as I do all my editing in this mode.

1. Avoid the noise. Move to a quieter room. Turn off the clothes drier. Choose a quieter time of day to record. Set the laptop power settings to “passive cooling”.
2. Move closer to the microphone, but watch out for those “p” sounds! You should be about 4 to 12 inches (10-30cm) from the microphone. You will need to position it to the side and/or use a pop filter.
3. Use noise reduction using Audacity as shown here: [https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning](https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning). I recommend making this a part of your editing routine. You’ll be surprised how much difference it makes, but be careful of over-doing it (more than about 18dB), which can affect the quality.

Please record and upload a new version that addresses at least the required technical issue(s). If you quote this message in your reply (hit the big quote button to the right of the post title), I’ll get a notification and will go in and re-check.

If you haven’t already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you’ll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.


Thank you, again, for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

PS - If you’re interested in developing your technique, and have the time to spare there’s a whole bunch of informative YouTube videos.
Our excellent admin Phil has recorded a lot of highly accessible videos ([https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos](https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos)).

I have also recorded a number of YouTube videos on this subject, longer (and thereby going into more detail) than Phil’s.

Part 0: Introduction. [https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU](https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU)
Part 1: Installing Audacity [https://youtu.be/w\_QZ15c4\_10](https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10)
Part 2: Setting the Volume [https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk](https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk)
Part 3: The Checker Program [https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c](https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c)
Part 4: ReplayGain plugin [https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM](https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM)
Part 5: Performance and Volume [https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I](https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I)
Part 6: Microphones looked at [https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs](https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs)
Part 7: Microphones listened to [https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU](https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU)
Part 8: Noise Reduction Using Audacity [https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0](https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0)
Part 9: Avoiding Pops [https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk](https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk)
Part 10: Recording and Marking Mistakes [https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8](https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8)
Part 11: Editing Marked Speech [https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI](https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI)
Part 12: Recording Dramatic Works [https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw](https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw)
Part 13: Introduction to the Librivox forum [https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o](https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o)
Part 14: Participating in Librivox [https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E](https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E)
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) [https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo](https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo)
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) [https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM](https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM)
Part 17: Editing using labels [https://youtu.be/eM7wcwAL84w](https://youtu.be/eM7wcwAL84w)
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

RozeLynn
Posts: 12
Joined: October 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Post by RozeLynn » October 15th, 2020, 4:25 am

I think what you are hearing is the fan on my desktop....I didn't even think about that! I will rearrange a bit and get that posted tomorrow. Thank you for all of the useful information! I will definitely take a look.
Lynnette :rose:

:!: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. :!:

RozeLynn
Posts: 12
Joined: October 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Post by RozeLynn » October 21st, 2020, 12:25 am

adrianstephens wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 1:58 am
RozeLynn wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:44 pm
I tried the checker and it had me lower the volume so I used a filter. It says it passes now...I have a crappy pair of headphones, but to me it sounded tinny. Looking forward to feedback so I can get recording!


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lynnetteswain.mp3

USB microphone
Windows 10
Audacity
Hello Lynnette,

Welcome to librivox. Thank you for participating here.  It’s always great to meet new readers.
You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.


I’m sorry, but you need to make change(s) in order to meet Librivox’s technical standards.

Required: There is a fair amount of of background noise. It sounds to me like a fan.
You can listen to the noise by taking a portion of silence and normalizing it (Audacity Effects/Normalize) to that you can hear it clearly. Think to yourself, what is the source of the noise?
There are three things you might try to reduce the background noise. You might need to do more than one of these.

To make the noise visible in Audacity you need to switch the track’s display mode to “Waveform (db)” using the little pulldown arrow just to the right of the track name (prior to Audacity 2.4) or in Edit/Preferences/Tracks/Default Waveform scale: Logarithmic (dB) (Audacity 2.4 onwards). I recommend leaving it there, as I do all my editing in this mode.

1. Avoid the noise. Move to a quieter room. Turn off the clothes drier. Choose a quieter time of day to record. Set the laptop power settings to “passive cooling”.
2. Move closer to the microphone, but watch out for those “p” sounds! You should be about 4 to 12 inches (10-30cm) from the microphone. You will need to position it to the side and/or use a pop filter.
3. Use noise reduction using Audacity as shown here: [https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning](https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning). I recommend making this a part of your editing routine. You’ll be surprised how much difference it makes, but be careful of over-doing it (more than about 18dB), which can affect the quality.

Please record and upload a new version that addresses at least the required technical issue(s). If you quote this message in your reply (hit the big quote button to the right of the post title), I’ll get a notification and will go in and re-check.

If you haven’t already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you’ll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.


Thank you, again, for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

PS - If you’re interested in developing your technique, and have the time to spare there’s a whole bunch of informative YouTube videos.
Our excellent admin Phil has recorded a lot of highly accessible videos ([https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos](https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos)).

I have also recorded a number of YouTube videos on this subject, longer (and thereby going into more detail) than Phil’s.

Part 0: Introduction. [https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU](https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU)
Part 1: Installing Audacity [https://youtu.be/w\_QZ15c4\_10](https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10)
Part 2: Setting the Volume [https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk](https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk)
Part 3: The Checker Program [https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c](https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c)
Part 4: ReplayGain plugin [https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM](https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM)
Part 5: Performance and Volume [https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I](https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I)
Part 6: Microphones looked at [https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs](https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs)
Part 7: Microphones listened to [https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU](https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU)
Part 8: Noise Reduction Using Audacity [https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0](https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0)
Part 9: Avoiding Pops [https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk](https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk)
Part 10: Recording and Marking Mistakes [https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8](https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8)
Part 11: Editing Marked Speech [https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI](https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI)
Part 12: Recording Dramatic Works [https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw](https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw)
Part 13: Introduction to the Librivox forum [https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o](https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o)
Part 14: Participating in Librivox [https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E](https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E)
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) [https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo](https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo)
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) [https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM](https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM)
Part 17: Editing using labels [https://youtu.be/eM7wcwAL84w](https://youtu.be/eM7wcwAL84w)
Thank you! I will add those to my list. :) Sorry it's taken so long to get this done. I have a family member going through a cancer battle and the last couple of weeks have been busy. Hopefully this will be my escape though! Here's take #2!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_lynnetteswain.mp3
Lynnette :rose:

:!: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. :!:

adrianstephens
Posts: 1397
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 21st, 2020, 1:28 am

RozeLynn wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 12:25 am

Thank you! I will add those to my list. :) Sorry it's taken so long to get this done. I have a family member going through a cancer battle and the last couple of weeks have been busy. Hopefully this will be my escape though! Here's take #2!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_lynnetteswain.mp3
Hello Lynnette,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult time. But Librivox does make a great escape - for me to my recording shed in the garden.

I’m sorry, but you need to make another change in order to meet Librivox’s technical standards. I’ll tell you what these are and how to address them. You can then upload a new file and I’ll take a look at it. Don’t worry if this takes more than one go to get it right - I didn’t get it right on my first recording either. And it doesn't matter how long you take, because I'm not sitting waiting for your email :0).

I think you will be just fine if you move back from the microphone 6 or 12 inches.

Required: The volume is too high. In fact it's so high you are clipping in a couple of places.
You can download the checker program (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker) which you can use to check the volume against the expected range. This recording was 101 dB, and the normal range is 86-92 dB. In Audacity, you can use Effects / Normalize or Effects / Amplify to change the volume post-recording.

Advisory: You are on the edge of making “pops” in the “P” sounds or breathing into the microphone.

There are some different ways to fix this: 1) move away from the microphone or position in the microphone to the side of your face; or 2) get a “pop” filter in front of your microphone. At its worst, a “pop” maxes out the recording, and you can do nothing after the recording to fix it. If you have a “gentle pop” that is just a minor irritant, often you can apply a high pass filter (from the Effects menu) at about 75Hz, and this will make it far less noticeable.


Thank you, again, for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

RozeLynn
Posts: 12
Joined: October 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Post by RozeLynn » October 21st, 2020, 2:20 am

adrianstephens wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 1:28 am
RozeLynn wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 12:25 am

Thank you! I will add those to my list. :) Sorry it's taken so long to get this done. I have a family member going through a cancer battle and the last couple of weeks have been busy. Hopefully this will be my escape though! Here's take #2!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_lynnetteswain.mp3
Hello Lynnette,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult time. But Librivox does make a great escape - for me to my recording shed in the garden.

I’m sorry, but you need to make another change in order to meet Librivox’s technical standards. I’ll tell you what these are and how to address them. You can then upload a new file and I’ll take a look at it. Don’t worry if this takes more than one go to get it right - I didn’t get it right on my first recording either. And it doesn't matter how long you take, because I'm not sitting waiting for your email :0).

I think you will be just fine if you move back from the microphone 6 or 12 inches.

Required: The volume is too high. In fact it's so high you are clipping in a couple of places.
You can download the checker program (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker) which you can use to check the volume against the expected range. This recording was 101 dB, and the normal range is 86-92 dB. In Audacity, you can use Effects / Normalize or Effects / Amplify to change the volume post-recording.

Advisory: You are on the edge of making “pops” in the “P” sounds or breathing into the microphone.

There are some different ways to fix this: 1) move away from the microphone or position in the microphone to the side of your face; or 2) get a “pop” filter in front of your microphone. At its worst, a “pop” maxes out the recording, and you can do nothing after the recording to fix it. If you have a “gentle pop” that is just a minor irritant, often you can apply a high pass filter (from the Effects menu) at about 75Hz, and this will make it far less noticeable.


Thank you, again, for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

Ok, I moved back and also downloaded and tried the checker. :) Thank you so much for all your help and patience.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_lynnetteswain.mp3
Lynnette :rose:

:!: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. :!:

adrianstephens
Posts: 1397
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 23rd, 2020, 3:49 am

RozeLynn wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 2:20 am

Ok, I moved back and also downloaded and tried the checker. :) Thank you so much for all your help and patience.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_lynnetteswain.mp3
Hello Lynnette,

Congratulations - you meet librivox’s technical standards. Proof Listen OK!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


I suggest you spend some time becoming familiar with the forum and looking for projects that you think you’d enjoy working on. Just jump right in wherever it feels comfortable. Most of all, always have fun. You’ll find lots of interesting material to record. If you’re like me, you’ll also discover you’re learning a lot in the process and being exposed to books I otherwise wouldn’t have opened or known about. You’ll be contributing to an interesting project and interacting with a lot of fun and varied fellow LibriVox volunteers in the process. I recommend starting with short works, such as poetry and dramatic readings.

Thank you, again, for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

RozeLynn
Posts: 12
Joined: October 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Post by RozeLynn » October 23rd, 2020, 4:08 am

Thanks so much! 😊
Lynnette :rose:

:!: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. :!:

JamesJenkins
Posts: 30
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: United States

Post by JamesJenkins » October 23rd, 2020, 4:50 am

RozeLynn wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 4:08 am
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
That is cute, made me smile, thank you.

RozeLynn
Posts: 12
Joined: October 9th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Post by RozeLynn » October 23rd, 2020, 5:34 am

JamesJenkins wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 4:50 am
RozeLynn wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 4:08 am
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
That is cute, made me smile, thank you.
I'm so glad! It gave me a good chuckle when I read it so passing it on!
Lynnette :rose:

:!: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. :!:

Post Reply