one-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
OneForTheBooks

Post by OneForTheBooks » October 14th, 2020, 11:51 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_oneforthebooks.mp3

Hi! Here's my test. It's pretty weak. I felt like I was shouting, but never got close to what was pictured. But I left it unedited, as suggested.

I have a laptop with Windows 10. I recorded using the Audacity software and a USB Samson Q2U microphone.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 14th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Welcome!

For not knowing much about tech, you turned in a nice test recording on your first try! :thumbs:

Everything is OK with it. The volume is A-OK as well, but you don't want to feel like you're shouting all the time. That'll wear out your voice in no time!

Try speaking in a natural way, and if you need to, you can amplify the recording to get it a bit higher if needed. This one is at 88 dB, and we aim for 89, so you're right in the sweet spot.

If you want to play with the volume a little more (with speaking less loudly), you can measure your own volume in two ways:

- There's a plugin for Audacity that will tell you how much to amplify your recordings, or how far off you are from "ideal" volume. It's called ReplayGain. Instructions for installing and using it are on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

- There's a small program the spouse of a LibriVoxer developed to check the tech settings. You can install it and use it to check the volume and other settings. It's here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
The volume information is in the Information tab. We aim for 89 dB, but anything between about 86 and 92 is good.

I'm going to mark this off as OK (yay!), but feel free to continue to post in here if you want to explore volume or anything else about your recording. I'm now subscribed to it, so I'll be notified if there's a new post. :)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

OneForTheBooks

Post by OneForTheBooks » October 14th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Yay is right!

I'm having a little trouble getting the plug-in installed, but I'll get it sorted out somehow. In the meantime, am I free to select a chapter from a "group" book now?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 14th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Yes, you are. Have fun!
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia