1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
RosyPosy
Posts: 3
Joined: October 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Post by RosyPosy » October 12th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Hello! Thanks for stopping by to listen to my one-minute test of the Peter Piper Poem on the wiki!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy.mp3


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_with_noise_cancellation.mp3 (edited slightly)

I used Audacity on Windows 10, with my Folio Laptop Built-In Mic. I am trying to decide on a real microphone to get if anyone has suggestions for a beginner, but I was hoping to get my feet wet with some of the poetry first to make sure I want to keep recording! There is a bit of background buzz - I think from my computer's fan - but it seems I am able to cancel it nearly completely by using the noise cancelling tools in Audacity. The test_rosyposy recording is completely unedited, though, so the buzz remains. The second is only edited to reduce the buzz.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all!

adrianstephens
Posts: 1371
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 13th, 2020, 6:48 am

RosyPosy wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Hello! Thanks for stopping by to listen to my one-minute test of the Peter Piper Poem on the wiki!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy.mp3


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_with_noise_cancellation.mp3 (edited slightly)

I used Audacity on Windows 10, with my Folio Laptop Built-In Mic. I am trying to decide on a real microphone to get if anyone has suggestions for a beginner, but I was hoping to get my feet wet with some of the poetry first to make sure I want to keep recording! There is a bit of background buzz - I think from my computer's fan - but it seems I am able to cancel it nearly completely by using the noise cancelling tools in Audacity. The test_rosyposy recording is completely unedited, though, so the buzz remains. The second is only edited to reduce the buzz.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all!
Review Comments

Hello Rose,

Welcome to librivox. Thank you for participating here. It's always great to meet new readers.
You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.


I'm sorry, but you need to make change(s) in order to meet Librivox’s technical standards.

Advisory: Your spoken volume varies significantly between the loud and soft parts. This degree of variability can create problems: 1) in editing dramatic readings, getting the various parts to a consistent level; 2) if a listener is listening in a noisy environment (e.g., a car), they might not be able to hear the quiet parts.

There are two things you can do to address this: 1) practice speaking at a more constant level. You can put expression into the voice (quality, timbre, pitch) without needing excessive volume. 2) use Audacity Effects / Compression. I typically use a compression factor of 2 on my readings when they need it.

Required: The volume is too low.
You can download the checker program (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker) which you can use to check the volume against the expected range. This recording was 84 dB, and the normal range is 86-92 dB. In Audacity, you can use Effects / Normalize or Effects / Amplify to change the volume post-recording.


I listened to both versions. The noise reduction you did damaged the quality of the speech in the second version. I did noise reduction on your first sample with parameters: 18dB, sensitivity 6, smoothing bands: 0, and got a much better result. You might want to try with these settings.

Please record and upload a new version that addresses at least the required technical issue(s). If you quote this message in your reply (hit the big quote button to the right of the post title), I’ll get a notification and will go in and re-check.


If you haven’t already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you’ll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.


Thank you, again, for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

PS - If you’re interested in developing your technique, and have the time to spare there’s a whole bunch of informative YouTube videos.
Our excellent admin Phil has recorded a lot of highly accessible videos (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos).

I have also recorded a number of YouTube videos on this subject, longer (and thereby going into more detail) than Phil’s.

Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 1: Installing Audacity https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10
Part 2: Setting the Volume https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk
Part 3: The Checker Program https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c
Part 4: ReplayGain plugin https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM
Part 5: Performance and Volume https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I
Part 6: Microphones looked at https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs
Part 7: Microphones listened to https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU
Part 8: Noise Reduction Using Audacity https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0
Part 9: Avoiding Pops https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk
Part 10: Recording and Marking Mistakes https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8
Part 11: Editing Marked Speech https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI
Part 12: Recording Dramatic Works https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw
Part 13: Introduction to the Librivox forum https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o
Part 14: Participating in Librivox https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Part 17: Editing using labels https://youtu.be/eM7wcwAL84w
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

RosyPosy
Posts: 3
Joined: October 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Post by RosyPosy » October 13th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Thank you so much Adrian!

Here is another recording. I re-recorded, trying to keep my voice a bit more level, used 2:1 compression, used your suggestions for noise reduction, and also amplified it to a volume of 91.3dB (confirmed in checker). Hopefully it sounds better! To me, it definitely sounds louder overall and more consistent, but I am not sure if the compression or amplification affected the sound quality. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_adjustments.mp3

Thanks,
Rose

adrianstephens wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 6:48 am
RosyPosy wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Hello! Thanks for stopping by to listen to my one-minute test of the Peter Piper Poem on the wiki!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy.mp3


https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_with_noise_cancellation.mp3 (edited slightly)

I used Audacity on Windows 10, with my Folio Laptop Built-In Mic. I am trying to decide on a real microphone to get if anyone has suggestions for a beginner, but I was hoping to get my feet wet with some of the poetry first to make sure I want to keep recording! There is a bit of background buzz - I think from my computer's fan - but it seems I am able to cancel it nearly completely by using the noise cancelling tools in Audacity. The test_rosyposy recording is completely unedited, though, so the buzz remains. The second is only edited to reduce the buzz.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all!
Review Comments

Hello Rose,

Welcome to librivox. Thank you for participating here. It's always great to meet new readers.
You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.


I'm sorry, but you need to make change(s) in order to meet Librivox’s technical standards.

Advisory: Your spoken volume varies significantly between the loud and soft parts. This degree of variability can create problems: 1) in editing dramatic readings, getting the various parts to a consistent level; 2) if a listener is listening in a noisy environment (e.g., a car), they might not be able to hear the quiet parts.

There are two things you can do to address this: 1) practice speaking at a more constant level. You can put expression into the voice (quality, timbre, pitch) without needing excessive volume. 2) use Audacity Effects / Compression. I typically use a compression factor of 2 on my readings when they need it.

Required: The volume is too low.
You can download the checker program (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker) which you can use to check the volume against the expected range. This recording was 84 dB, and the normal range is 86-92 dB. In Audacity, you can use Effects / Normalize or Effects / Amplify to change the volume post-recording.


I listened to both versions. The noise reduction you did damaged the quality of the speech in the second version. I did noise reduction on your first sample with parameters: 18dB, sensitivity 6, smoothing bands: 0, and got a much better result. You might want to try with these settings.

Please record and upload a new version that addresses at least the required technical issue(s). If you quote this message in your reply (hit the big quote button to the right of the post title), I’ll get a notification and will go in and re-check.


If you haven’t already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you’ll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.


Thank you, again, for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

PS - If you’re interested in developing your technique, and have the time to spare there’s a whole bunch of informative YouTube videos.
Our excellent admin Phil has recorded a lot of highly accessible videos (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos).

I have also recorded a number of YouTube videos on this subject, longer (and thereby going into more detail) than Phil’s.

Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 1: Installing Audacity https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10
Part 2: Setting the Volume https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk
Part 3: The Checker Program https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c
Part 4: ReplayGain plugin https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM
Part 5: Performance and Volume https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I
Part 6: Microphones looked at https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs
Part 7: Microphones listened to https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU
Part 8: Noise Reduction Using Audacity https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0
Part 9: Avoiding Pops https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk
Part 10: Recording and Marking Mistakes https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8
Part 11: Editing Marked Speech https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI
Part 12: Recording Dramatic Works https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw
Part 13: Introduction to the Librivox forum https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o
Part 14: Participating in Librivox https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Part 17: Editing using labels https://youtu.be/eM7wcwAL84w

adrianstephens
Posts: 1371
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 13th, 2020, 10:35 pm

RosyPosy wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 7:46 pm
Thank you so much Adrian!

Here is another recording. I re-recorded, trying to keep my voice a bit more level, used 2:1 compression, used your suggestions for noise reduction, and also amplified it to a volume of 91.3dB (confirmed in checker). Hopefully it sounds better! To me, it definitely sounds louder overall and more consistent, but I am not sure if the compression or amplification affected the sound quality. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_adjustments.mp3

Thanks,
Rose

Hello Rose,

There's something odd going on here with the noise reduction. The compression and amplification won't affect perceived voice quality. The Noise reduction can, and has in this case.

What parameterw did you use? Can you take your original raw and process it with Noise reduction parameters -12, 6, 0 and post? I just want to compare with me doing the same on that same file and see if we get the same result.

The reason I'm asking this is that the speech of your latest sample has got the artefacts of over-processing, and I want to confirm your technique first.

Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

RosyPosy
Posts: 3
Joined: October 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Post by RosyPosy » October 14th, 2020, 5:53 am

Hi Adrian,

Here is the original with absolutely no edits (just recorded and saved). *Note, it is the second recording I made focusing on a more even voice volume, in which I was also a bit closer to the mic than the very first upload.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_no_edits.mp3


And here it is with the only adjustment being noise reduction. For that, I selected a non-speaking section, opened Noise Reduction, took the sound profile, selected the full recording, reopened Noise Reduction, and used 12db, 6.00, and 0.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_noise_reduction_only.mp3


Best,
Rose

adrianstephens wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Hello Rose,

There's something odd going on here with the noise reduction. The compression and amplification won't affect perceived voice quality. The Noise reduction can, and has in this case.

What parameterw did you use? Can you take your original raw and process it with Noise reduction parameters -12, 6, 0 and post? I just want to compare with me doing the same on that same file and see if we get the same result.

The reason I'm asking this is that the speech of your latest sample has got the artefacts of over-processing, and I want to confirm your technique first.

Best Regards,
Adrian

adrianstephens
Posts: 1371
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » October 15th, 2020, 12:14 am

RosyPosy wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 5:53 am
Hi Adrian,

Here is the original with absolutely no edits (just recorded and saved). *Note, it is the second recording I made focusing on a more even voice volume, in which I was also a bit closer to the mic than the very first upload.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_no_edits.mp3


And here it is with the only adjustment being noise reduction. For that, I selected a non-speaking section, opened Noise Reduction, took the sound profile, selected the full recording, reopened Noise Reduction, and used 12db, 6.00, and 0.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rosyposy_noise_reduction_only.mp3


Best,
Rose

Hello Rose,

The noise reduction did the trick. Please keep on doing it using these settings, and your recordings should be fine.
Congratulations - you meet librivox’s technical standards. Proof Listen OK!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

You can stop reading here and get on with recording. I have additional comments that you can read if you want to develop your technique.

Advisory: The quality of the mic you are using is not great. If you get a chance to experiment with another mic, please do so.

Advisory: There is a noticeable room echo. You can also reduce the relative room echo by speaking closer to the microphone. Or you can reduce this by recording in a room that has a lot of soft furnishings. I hung duvets on the walls and ceiling of my shed to create an acoustically dead space for recording.


I suggest you spend some time becoming familiar with the forum and looking for projects that you think you’d enjoy working on. Just jump right in wherever it feels comfortable. Most of all, always have fun. You’ll find lots of interesting material to record. If you’re like me, you’ll also discover you’re learning a lot in the process and being exposed to books I otherwise wouldn’t have opened or known about. You’ll be contributing to an interesting project and interacting with a lot of fun and varied fellow LibriVox volunteers in the process. I recommend starting with short works, such as poetry and dramatic readings.

Thank you, again, for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

Post Reply