1 minute test recording [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
labellefrance

Post by labellefrance » October 7th, 2020, 5:14 am

labellefrance

Post by labellefrance » October 7th, 2020, 5:17 am

oops forgot to say I used Audacity on a Mac with an internal mic

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 7th, 2020, 8:57 am

Hello, labellefrance! Welcome to LibriVox! :)

You have a lovely voice! Also, there are little to no plosives in your recording and your level of background noise is nice and low.

However, there are a few technical problems:

1. Your recording needs to be in mono sound rather than stereo sound. To fix this, open your test recording in Audacity, and then:

- On the left side of your track, click the small black arrow next to test_labelle
- Click Split Stereo to Mono from the list
- And click the little black x in the top left corner of either of your tracks so that you are only left wth one track

2. Your recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate. Also the bit rate needs to be 128 kbps. To fix both of these problems, when you are ready to export:

- Click File > Export Audio...
- Next to Bit Rate Mode, select Constant
- Next to Quality, select 128 kbps from the drop-down list

I noticed that your recording clips at the 12 second mark, and almost clips at 22 seconds. If you will playback your recording in Audacity, you will see where the blue lines indicating sound reach the far top and/or bottom edges of the track. When a recording clips, it sounds very loud and a little distorted, so you may want to move the microphone just a little further from your mouth next time.

Also, remember to leave only 5 seconds of silence at the end of a recording (and .5 seconds at the beginning).

When you're ready, upload your new test to LibriVox and post the link here. :)
Would you like to be a part of LibriVox's Christmas choir? This year, it's "Away in a Manger."

labellefrance

Post by labellefrance » October 7th, 2020, 11:51 am

Thanks for this...Very helpful. I'll do all the things you recommend and try another test.
L

labellefrance

Post by labellefrance » October 15th, 2020, 2:22 am

Hello there!
Here's my new recording of the test – very happy to hear feedback. Hoping this one fits the technical requirements and all is well. Keen to start recording.
A lovely day here in Northumberland, UK.
L

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_labellefrance.mp3

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 15th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Great job! This test meets the technical requirements mentioned above. The only problem left is that the volume is too low at 79.6 dB, while the target range for LibriVox recordings is 86-92 dB.

Because you have a very loud peak at the 21-second mark, so you'll need to use the compressor tool before you can increase the volume. (If you don't compress first, the very loud parts of your recording will clip and sound distorted.) To compress your recording:

(--The trick to the compressor tool is to add some extra seconds of silence at the very beginning of the recording. Otherwise, the beginning of the recording will have a muted, fade-in effect, though I'm not sure why this happens--)

1. Click and drag to highlight the first 15 seconds of your recording
  2. Hit Ctrl + C
  3. Now click in the area at very beginning of the track (to the left of all the waveforms)
  4. Hit Ctrl + V to paste those first 15 seconds
  5. Now hit the Silence audio selection button (or hit Ctrl + L if you have trouble finding it)
  6. Hit Ctrl + A to highlight your entire recording
  7. Click Effect > Compressor...
  8. Next to Threshold, move the slider to about -20 dB
  9. Next to Noise Floor, move the slider to -40 dB
  10. Next to Ratio, move the slider to 8:1
  11. Next to Attack Time, move the slider to 0.10 secs
  12. Next to Release Time, move the slider to 1.0 secs
  13. Make sure the boxes next to Make-up gain for 0dB after compressing and Compress based on Peaks are NOT checked
  14. Click OK
  15. Now click and drag to highlight those first 15 seconds of silence
  16. Hit the Delete key
  17. Now hit Ctrl + A to highlight your entire recording
  18. Click Effect > Amplify...
  19. Next to Amplification (dB), type in 8 or so

Try again! :) When you're ready, upload the file to LibriVox and post the link to it in this thread.
Would you like to be a part of LibriVox's Christmas choir? This year, it's "Away in a Manger."

labellefrance

Post by labellefrance » October 16th, 2020, 8:52 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_labellefrance.mp3

Here you go – my new amplified version. Hope it works this time.
I wonder would the volume work better with an external mic? Or is there a setting I can apply in Audacity that will take care of it while recording – or should it always be amplified after recording?

Thanks for your ear and expertise.
L

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 16th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Yes, I would think an external mic would be able to pick up the sound better than an internal mic. Of course, even with an internal mic, you can always get the volume up as high as you need using Audacity's Amplify tool -- but if you have to raise it too much, the background noise could become too loud. Your recording sounds okay to me, though. :)

Also, it looks like you missed the first 7 seconds when you amplified; you'll see if you open your recording in Audacity how much smaller the waveforms at the beginning are. But I think you get the idea, so I'll go ahead and say you are ready to record! :thumbs: Have fun!

labellefrance

Post by labellefrance » October 17th, 2020, 10:48 am

Thank you for all your help!
Very excited to get started...
L