1-minute test by theledzepplin [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
TheLedZepplin

Post by TheLedZepplin » October 6th, 2020, 6:33 pm

audacity (2.4.2)
windows 10 (19042.508)
old skullcandy headphones in mic port on surface studio (i know! but there was no background noise at all)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_theledzepplin.mp3

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 7th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Hi, TheLedZepplin! Welcome to LibriVox! :)

Great job meeting all the technical requirements on your first try! Also, there are little to no plosives, and your level of background noise is nice and low.

However, your volume is low at 73.7 dB, which falls outside the target range of 86-92 dB. To fix this:

- Click anywhere inside the track
- Hit Ctrl + A to highlight the entire track
- Click Effect > Amplify...
- Next to Amplification (dB), type in 14 or so

But that's it! When you're ready, upload your new test to LibriVox and post the link here.
Would you like to be a part of LibriVox's Christmas choir? This year, it's "Away in a Manger."

TheLedZepplin

Post by TheLedZepplin » October 9th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Hi Twinkle88!

Here is a new one, louder, but have question. Do you hear some background static when I am speaking? I do and it's annoying me. I tried my Samson Q1U but it has a LOT of background noise for some reason, like a constant white noise. In any case, let me know what you think of this one:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_theledzepplin_louder.mp3

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 9th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Honestly, I'm not hearing the static-y background noise you're talking about. I am momentarily using a pair of pretty cheap headphones, though, so I will take another listen later to be sure.

This recording is still a little too quiet at 84.5 dB. You have a very loud peak at the 26-second mark, so you'll need to use the compressor tool before you can do any amplifying. (If you don't compress first, the very loud parts of your recording will sound distorted.) To compress your recording:

(The trick to the compressor tool is to add some extra seconds of silence at the very beginning of the recording. Otherwise, the beginning of the recording will have a muted, fade-in effect -- not sure why this happens.)
  1. Click and drag to highlight the first 15 seconds of your recording
  2. Hit Ctrl + C
  3. Now click in the area at very beginning of the track (to the left of all the waveforms)
  4. Hit Ctrl + V to paste those first 15 seconds
  5. Now hit the Silence audio selection button (or hit Ctrl + L if you have trouble finding it)
  6. Hit Ctrl + A to highlight your entire recording
  7. Click Effect > Compressor...
  8. Next to Threshold, move the slider to about -14 dB
  9. Next to Noise Floor, move the slider to -40 dB
  10. Next to Ratio, move the slider to 8:1
  11. Next to Attack Time, move the slider to 0.10 secs
  12. Next to Release Time, move the slider to 1.0 secs
  13. Make sure the boxes next to Make-up gain for 0dB after compressing and Compress based on Peaks are NOT checked
  14. Click OK
  15. Now click and drag to highlight those first 15 seconds of silence
  16. Hit the Delete key
  17. Now hit Ctrl + A to highlight your entire recording
  18. Click Effect > Amplify...
  19. Next to Amplification (dB), type in 3 or so
Try again! :) When you're ready, upload the file to LibriVox and post the link to it in this thread.
Would you like to be a part of LibriVox's Christmas choir? This year, it's "Away in a Manger."

TheLedZepplin

Post by TheLedZepplin » October 13th, 2020, 11:56 pm

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 14th, 2020, 7:56 am

I think the audio quality of this test is very good! No background static that I can hear. :)

The volume still comes in a little too low at 83.2 dB. So open your test recording in Audacity and:

- Click anywhere inside the track
- Hit Ctrl + A to highlight the entire track
- Click Effect > Amplify...
- Next to Amplification (dB), type in 4 or so

(If you want to be able to check the volume of your audio files yourself, you can download the free, easy-to-use Checker program.)

Also, if you look at your test recording in Audacity, you'll see that you have some loud peaks at 1.4 seconds, 3.0 seconds, and 19.0 seconds, while the waveforms in the other areas of the track are much shorter (quieter). I would recommend using the compressor instructions in the previous post to achieve a more even sound (in which case you would need to amplify by an additional 2 dB), but that's totally up to you. :)

Try again! When you're ready, post the link here.

TheLedZepplin

Post by TheLedZepplin » October 14th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Wish there was a non-Java version of that Checker. I just can't run JRE on my machines. I'll work on the fixes.

TheLedZepplin

Post by TheLedZepplin » October 14th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Actually, is there an easy way to determine volume level you're talking about in Audacity other than the checker? To me the volume is SUPER loud on both PC speakers and headphones.

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 15th, 2020, 3:20 pm

I have never used it before, but there is a plug-in for Audacity that will tell you how much to amplify your recordings, or how far off you are from the target range. It's called ReplayGain. Instructions for installing and using it are on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

TheLedZepplin

Post by TheLedZepplin » October 15th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Ok, Twinkle88, hopefully this is the one. Thanks for all the help.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_theledzepplin.mp3

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 15th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Yes, this is perfect! Great job!

You are ready to record! :thumbs: Have fun!