One minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ArtemisBee

Post by ArtemisBee » August 23rd, 2020, 2:36 pm

Hello! Humblest apologies, I never submitted a test and I think a proper dressing down of the situation will do me good. Please find my test here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_artemisbee.mp3

I'm finding that I have a lot of trouble balancing out the mic volume vs. the computer input volume.

Thank you!

EJ

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » August 23rd, 2020, 2:53 pm

Hi EJ!

Are you using Audacity?

I see what you mean with regards to volume. I have looked at your recording and it is all good except the volume which is on the low side and just under what we require for readings.

Let me know if you are using Audacity or not and then I will send you some thoughts.

Lynda

ArtemisBee

Post by ArtemisBee » September 5th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Thank you, Lynda! I am using Audacity.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 5th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Hi there! Great to see you back! Just a minute and I will switch to my laptop and send you some information based on my settings.

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 6th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Hi EJ!

I am very sorry - I had an emergency that I had to attend to yesterday afternoon and I just got back to having some down time now.

So volume and Audacity. Okay, open your Audacity and look at the upper left corner. What is your recording volume slider set at? The slider is next to the microphone. Believe it or not, I have mine set at about 75% as I am not a loud speaker and I do not like having the microphone right in front of my face as that causes loud s's and p's called 'plosives. I position my microphone just to the left and down from my mouth. So back to the slider, you can play with that as that will control how loud your recordings will be. So record some test things for yourself and save them and then run them through the checker. You do need to record about 30 seconds to let the checker work properly.

I am not sure if someone has given you the checker or not. Here it is - https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html So assuming you are on a PC you can install that. I believe it was created by the spouse of someone who records for Librivox. It checks all the things that we watch out for such as technical settings and more importantly, volume!

So if you go to File and then find your saved recording and let it run (it is fairly fast) and it comes back with Passed you are good to go! If it comes back with Passed with Warnings then click on the Validation tab and it will tell you what you need to do. So let's say it is your volume. You have two choices saying you are trying to figure out what volume setting to set for your recording in general with Audacity - change the slider for the Mic volume or try and fix the volume with the Audacity tools.

Let's pick the 2nd one as the first one is pretty obvious - change the slider and record again. The purpose once you get going is not to record over though! So using the tools in Audacity is far better! If you go to Effect menu item one of the top items in the list is Amplify - I uses this A LOT. It works both positive and negative. This is what I tried doing to your first recording however it would not work as the volume was just too low. So let's say the Checker indicates that your recording is 84dB and you need to be between 85 and 92 dB (where we aim for 89 dB). If that happens to me, I take the difference between 89 and 84 in this case which is 5 and then first highlight the whole recording (CTRL-A), go to Effect - Amplify menu item and enter a 5 into the top field and press OK. This will INCREASE your volume. So then export your recording and then run it through Checker and you should be done! So the reverse also can be done - if the Checker says your recording is at 93dB and you want to get to 89dB then you would enter a -4 (after selecting the whole recording) into the Amplify field....

So give that a try and let me know how you do. There is one more lesson which happens when the number you want to put into the Amplify is not allowed to be entered - however that is more advanced. Just try the above and see if that helps you!

Lynda

ArtemisBee

Post by ArtemisBee » September 7th, 2020, 11:16 am

Oohh thanks! I'll try this out! I've been having computer issues lately but hopefully that is sorted out and I can get back to recording! I'll let you know how it goes.

Best

EJ

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 7th, 2020, 11:28 am

Great!

So when you have it worked out, just do the 1 minute test again and post the link to this thread and I will check it for you :)

Lynda

ArtemisBee

Post by ArtemisBee » September 7th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Wooo! i think this is working! Thank you so much. I'll re-do the one-minute test and send it over.

Thanks, again, Lynda. I hope that the emergency you dealt with has calmed down, and that you are ok. I appreciate that you took the time to help me out.

ArtemisBee

Post by ArtemisBee » September 7th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Hi Lynda,

Here is my new test recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_artemisbee.mp3

I'm using a usb mic that unhelpfully has no numbers or markings to indicate the input level. Yayyy.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'm planning to put it all down on a word doc to help me troubleshoot for future.

Thanks!

EJ

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » September 7th, 2020, 1:28 pm

EJ -

You did it! You pass!

That is an EXCELLENT recording!

Just two things to remember for when you record your Chapters - .5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording and 5 seconds of silence at the end. This does not need to be done to this recording - it is fine as it is.

Saying you have passed now and have some experience with volume I thought I would write down how to fix your volume if you go into Effect - Amplify and you cannot Amplify anymore.

That is when you use the Effect - Compressor functionality. First highlight your whole recording and then go to Compressor. I just leave all the settings the way they are except the one that says Ratio - which I slide the bar to about 4:1 or 5:1 - then press OK. That flattens out the real highs and lows in your recording that are preventing you from Amplifying. You can do this more than once if you did not Compress enough the first time. Then try (with recording still highlighted) Effect - Amplify again and it should work!

So that is all for your 1 minute test - you are off now to record to your heart's delight! Have fun!

Lynda

ArtemisBee

Post by ArtemisBee » September 7th, 2020, 1:30 pm

SQUEE!!! THANK YOU!