1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
kbitter

Post by kbitter » July 28th, 2020, 10:27 am

I'm using Audacity on a Mac with a USB microphone.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/2test_kbitter.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » July 28th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Thank you for the test! Well done on sorting out bit rate and the like :D

First, let's pass the recording through the noise reduction effect, to clean up the background hum a little. Select a few seconds of background noise only (no speech) and click Effect | Noise Reduction | Get Profile. Then select the whole recording (Ctrl+A), click Effect | Noise Reduction again, and use settings:

Noise Reduction: 10 dB
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands) 6

and click OK.

Then, the volume needs to be a bit higher -- the test is about 83dB, we aim for 89. In later recordings you can experiment with increasing your input volume if you'd like, but it is perfectly ok to adjust it by amplifying in Audacity, as well. Here is how: Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification 7. Please make sure to NOT check the box where it says Allow clipping.

Save, upload, and post again in this thread. You'll be recording soon :9:
Kathrine

kbitter

Post by kbitter » July 29th, 2020, 8:56 am

Thank you Kathrinee!

I cleaned up the background hum according to your settings. I couldn't get the amplification to work. I tried to change the amplification to 7 but the OK box wouldn't work unless I clicked on Allow Clipping. I did a separate recording with all of the technical enhancements that were suggested and spoke a little more loudly. I can't see where it lists the dB on Audacity.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/3test_kbitter.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » July 30th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Thank you, Kristy :) The volume did come up, on the last test it is almost 85dB. You are right, in Audacity it doesn't tell us what the volume is. For a visual check, we look for wave forms like this:
I use the checker, a little tool that verifies technical settings, volume etc. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

The volume needs to be a little bit louder. Are you able to amplify it by 4?

Please give it a try, save, upload and post again in this thread. You're almost there :thumbs:

(There is a way to get around amplifying more without allowing the clipping, just in case you ever need it, by using the Compressor effect.)
Kathrine

kbitter

Post by kbitter » July 30th, 2020, 2:52 pm

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » August 1st, 2020, 4:27 pm

Yes, you're good to go :clap: Please head over to the Readers Wanted forums and claim a section or two that looks interesting.
Kathrine