[1 Minute Test] Test Recording - Jordan Nash, Blue Encore 300, Zoom H6 [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
JordanN

Post by JordanN » July 21st, 2020, 12:17 pm

Here's a quick test recording, using the Blue Encore 300 on a boom stand with a pop filter into a Zoom H6 portable digital recorder, gain set to 4.5. The attached file is direct from the recorder, except for changing the name. The head and tail room tone is intentional and will be removed from submitted projects.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_JordanN.WAV

Setup photo:

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » July 21st, 2020, 5:21 pm

Thanks, Jordan. Nice setup you've got there. :) You'll need to submit files in mp3 format though, not wav.

You've given us a good idea of your hardware, but I don't see a mention of software. If you use Audacity, like many of us, this link will walk you through how to set up the mp3 format (bit rate, etc). If not, it will at least show you what formatting you need to apply to your software.

You'll also need to increase your gain. This recording is too soft by about 13 dB. Otherwise, audio quality sounds good, and you're very clear and understandable. I didn't hear any background noise, even after amplifying.

Upload a new test with those changes and post the new link in this thread. Thanks! :D

JordanN

Post by JordanN » July 21st, 2020, 6:01 pm

Hi Devorah,

As I mentioned that sample is straight out of the recorder.

I’ll be editing in Adobe Audition and I am familiar with compression and normalization.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 23rd, 2020, 7:31 am

It will be good to also check the tech specs of your mp3 exports, so when ready, please upload an mp3 file, and we can check volume again too.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » July 24th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Jordan just uploaded a completed chapter to one of my projects with all the correct settings, so I will mark this test OK. :)

JordanN

Post by JordanN » July 25th, 2020, 8:00 pm

The chapter was recorded on the Zoom H6 and edited in Audition. I have a pretty solid A/V background, so I SHOULD know what I’m doing (but please correct my errors).

Librivox seems to use a lot of non-standard tools, terminology, and technical standards. As I mentioned a few years ago, Librivox needs to move towards an established loudness standard, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LKFS.

mendiagus

Post by mendiagus » July 29th, 2020, 11:38 am

Hello Jordan, I am new at proof listening but as an audio book listener I think your audio and your voice are both great. The recording is clear, and in case you want to improve your reading I would try to emphasize on the interpretation of the text (although I know this is just a test recording). In case you are then going to read more books or chapters, maybe it would be better if you only left 5 seconds at the end of the recording (just to follow librivox´s rules of recording. To sum up, I believe it is a great recording and it fits almost all of the characteristics required to be in librivox.