One Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ameliajt

Post by ameliajt » July 21st, 2020, 7:33 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ameliajt_(online-audio-converter.com)_.mp3

I am recording on an HP Chromebook, so most of the software recommended was not compatible with my device. I used the app "Smart Recorder" for this recording, after trying Wavepad and having difficulty with exporting the file.

I also had to convert the file to an MP3 online, hence the "extra stuff" in the title.

Do you know of any free software that would offer better performance on Chromebook/Google devices?

Thank you!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 21st, 2020, 2:38 pm

Hello Amelia! Welcome to Librivox! :clap:

You managed to set the correct bitrate for the mp3, but the recording is in stereo, instead of mono. Maybe you can find somewhere in your process to set the recordings in mono.

Your recording sounds ok, just a little softer than desired, but I guess we can check volume, etc, when you've finalized your recording setup. Also some of the s sounds are a bit stronger, but I don't think that's a problem. I am just mentioning it because it was visible in the waveform. I'm personally using Audacity, and, whenever there's an "s" sound, there is a visible peak in the waveform. As I would recommend Amplifying for the softer volume, those peaks would not allow for enough amplification, hence my mentioning it. Or maybe you can increase your microphone's input volume.
In numbers, to get a sense of the difference we're talking about, target volume is around 89dB, your current recording measures about 83.

I don't know about Chromebook apps, but you could ask in the Need Help forum, more people might see your specific question there, or search the forum for older posts about it. My searching of the keyword "chromebook" returned these results: search.php?keywords=chromebook&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I hope you'll find what you're looking for! :D

ameliajt

Post by ameliajt » July 28th, 2020, 7:09 am

I am completely new to recording, so I am still unfamiliar with a lot of the technical terms and processes.

I have been able to download Audacity onto my Chromebook. However, I am having difficulty understanding the volume issues.

-I can definitely tell that the "s" sounds are harsher/louder. I've tried some different things, but it's not working effectively. I am currently using the mic on my computer, as I do not have an "actual" microphone. I'm not really sure how to fix this problem.

-I'm also not sure how I would go about properly amplifying the recording.

Any suggestions?

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 28th, 2020, 7:38 am

Does Audacity work on your Chromebook then? If so, have you followed the steps to correctly configure Audacity? https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_1-2-3
I assume it would be the same steps in Chromebook, but I can't be sure.

If it works and you're going to use Audacity for recording, that means a different setup from your first test recording, so probably the resulting recording is going to be different. Upload a new test recording to see what kind of result this setup gives you and we'll take it from there :D

ameliajt

Post by ameliajt » July 31st, 2020, 7:07 am

Alright, so I've gotten Audacity installed and configured using the directions you posted. Here is the new 1 minute test.

Thank you so much for your help and patience! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/test_ameliajt.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » August 1st, 2020, 4:52 pm

Thank you, now the settings are all correct :clap:

I made a little video where I go through these three steps on your test https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dtCWo-Z5L3IlpM4BG-c8mXSnXoKFpPvd/view

There is a little bit of background hum, which are cleanable in Audacity: Select a few seconds of background noise only (no speech) and click Effect | Noise Reduction | Get Profile. Then select the whole recording (Ctrl+A), click Effect | Noise Reduction again, and use settings:

Noise Reduction: 10 dB
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands) 6

and click OK.

Use the compressor: select the whole recording, click Effect> Compress and click OK

Amplify the recording by 3.

Please save, upload the recording and post in this thread again. Good job!
Kathrine

ameliajt

Post by ameliajt » Yesterday, 6:20 am

Thank you so much! The video really helped.

I've made the adjustments and attached the new file below. I'm not sure if it's loud enough, because the blue peaks still seem a bit small.

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/test_ameliajt2.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » Today, 4:10 pm

Great! The volume is fine now, and you can head over to the Readers Wanted forums to claim a section or two that look interesting! :D

I'd probably use the noise reduction once more with the same settings as before, it makes it a little bit crisper. Have fun recording!
Kathrine