1 Minute Test {Scholar of No Importance} [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ScholarOf0Importance

Post by ScholarOf0Importance » July 2nd, 2020, 9:46 am

Been wanting to do this for a while and have already jumped into a project but am new to recording for a standardized format.

One minute test is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_scholarof0importance.mp3

Recorded in Audacity 2.4.2 on a USB mic (The Yeti Blue Nano, if that matters)

Posted mostly for the project lead but like I said, I'm totally new at this and am grateful for all the help I can get! Thanks!

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » July 2nd, 2020, 10:42 am

OK, great! I will be back in a couple of hours to listen: have to pop out now.
Rob Marland reader section | website

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » July 2nd, 2020, 12:59 pm

OK, sounds great! No noise, no plosives, meets all the checks.

The only thing is that it came through a little high on volume. I use MP3Gain to get my files to the target volume. You can download it for free. Output your mp3 as normal and then drag and drop it over the MP3Gain window. Set the Target Normal Volume to 89 and press the Track Gain button. The files will be adjusted and saved automatically.
Rob Marland reader section | website

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 3rd, 2020, 6:13 am

Just to add, that when the volume is higher, and especially when reading an interesting text, where we can get more animated, the volume may go over the limit and create clipping, which might create distortion that doesn't get fixed with de-amplifying. So monitor your volume, and if needed, decrease the microphone input volume (microphone slider in the Mixer toolbar in Audacity) like half a notch or so. Just take care not to go to the other extreme and get the volume too soft! :mrgreen:
There is also the option of "Show clipping" in the View menu of Audacity, which will show clipping in red vertical lines, if there is any, so as long as you don't see any red, you are fine! :thumbs:

Have fun recording! :clap:

ScholarOf0Importance

Post by ScholarOf0Importance » July 4th, 2020, 10:07 am

RobMarland wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 12:59 pm
OK, sounds great! No noise, no plosives, meets all the checks.

The only thing is that it came through a little high on volume. I use MP3Gain to get my files to the target volume. You can download it for free. Output your mp3 as normal and then drag and drop it over the MP3Gain window. Set the Target Normal Volume to 89 and press the Track Gain button. The files will be adjusted and saved automatically.
Thanks! I'll download that and get to recording! I feel like I fussed with the recording volume for a dog's age and wound up either too soft or way too loud so I think between MP3Gain and some more fidgeting with the settings, I can probably get it to tone down somewhat.

ScholarOf0Importance

Post by ScholarOf0Importance » July 4th, 2020, 10:09 am

Rapunzelina wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 6:13 am
Just to add, that when the volume is higher, and especially when reading an interesting text, where we can get more animated, the volume may go over the limit and create clipping, which might create distortion that doesn't get fixed with de-amplifying. So monitor your volume, and if needed, decrease the microphone input volume (microphone slider in the Mixer toolbar in Audacity) like half a notch or so. Just take care not to go to the other extreme and get the volume too soft! :mrgreen:
There is also the option of "Show clipping" in the View menu of Audacity, which will show clipping in red vertical lines, if there is any, so as long as you don't see any red, you are fine! :thumbs:

Have fun recording! :clap:
Thanks for the additional tips! I scrubbed back and forth with the microphone volume for ages and couldn't get it to even out but I think between you and Rob I've got some good tools to get the volume under control :D