1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
FlowAxiom

Post by FlowAxiom » June 30th, 2020, 8:07 am

Hello !

I've done the 1 minute test (french version).

Could any of you tell me if it's ok?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_FlowAxiom.mp3

Thanks in advance!

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » June 30th, 2020, 9:45 am

Welcome to LibriVox!
You have a nice clear recording. That's a great start! :D There are some technical things to work through but I'll walk you through them.

First take a look at your audio. Can you see two panels of waves? If not, adjust the Audacity screen. You should see two almost identical panels one above the other. This shows you that you have a stereo recording. We need mono. Go to Tracks>Mix> Mix stereo to mono. Now there should only be one panel of waves.

There is a little DC offset in your recording. I'm not actually sure what causes this but the good news is it's easy to fix. :) When you look at your line do you see how it's sometimes just above or below the 0.0 line? This is your DC offset. We need to get everything up on that line. To do that highlight the entire recording. Effect> Normalize. Check the box to 'Remove DC offset (center on 0.0 vertically). OK
Did you see the recording jump to the line? That's where you need it.

Next we need to get you a little louder. For future recording you can try adjusting your mic positioning or the input level but for this one let’s just amplify. Your recording is at 83.0dB. We aim for 89dB with an allowance of 86-92dB. Highlight your audio. Go to Effect>Amplify>6 ok. Now see how the majority of your waves are about the height of 0.5 to -0.5 (look to the left of the wave on the Audacity program you should see numbers ranging from 1.0 to -1.0) This is the height you are aiming for.

Now let’s do a little bit of noise cleaning. Do you see how your line during the "silent" areas is "fuzzy"? This is a visual indicator there is too much background noise. In the future be sure that you turn off everything you can hear before you start recording. Sit quietly in your recording area and just listen. If you can hear it, so can the microphone.
For this recording try some noise cleaning. Noise cleaning and amplifying are the two most common edits we do.
First highlight some of your "silence", say around 0:10 seconds.
Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile
Select your entire recording
Effect>Noise Reduction>Play around with the noise settings (using the "preview" button until you are satisfied). I used 20, 6.00, 6. Toggle to reduce noise>OK.
See how the line in your silence areas became a very fine line? That's what you are looking for.

Finally, some of your export settings are not on target. The good news is with Audacity when you get them set, the program remembers them for future exports.
File>Export audio>(wherever you want to save it is fine).
Bit rate should be 'Constant'
Quality 128kbps
Save

Please upload the modified file and post another link to this same thread for a double check.

In case you are a visual learner here are some videos which may help. They aren't your version of Audacity but should still prove helpful.
Setting up your specs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM
Noise cleaning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw
Amplify: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_z607awyLw
Here is our full catalog of videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

FlowAxiom

Post by FlowAxiom » July 1st, 2020, 4:47 am

Hello Linny!

Thanks for your good advice, much appreciated!

I've made a second test that you will be able to find at https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_FlowAxiom(2).mp3

Let me know if I still need to make some modifications, but technically I've followed your instructions and the quality should meet the expectation.

I just had a question. I recorded as a mono (since I made another test) and once I was on the export window, Audacity asked me if I wanted to export as stereo or force as mono, even though it was on mono from the start.
What was the setting I should have used?

Thanks again!

Maxime

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » July 1st, 2020, 12:29 pm

Now everything checks out, well done! You can head straight over to the Readers Wanted forums and claim a section or two that looks interesting :9:
FlowAxiom wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 4:47 am
I just had a question. I recorded as a mono (since I made another test) and once I was on the export window, Audacity asked me if I wanted to export as stereo or force as mono, even though it was on mono from the start.
It is correct in this test, so whatever you did worked :thumbs:
Kathrine

FlowAxiom

Post by FlowAxiom » July 1st, 2020, 12:56 pm

Hey!

Thanks for the answers, I can finally start :D

See you around and thanks again!

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » July 1st, 2020, 1:35 pm

FlowAxiom wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 4:47 am
Is it when you export and are saving the file? There is an 'Export Audio' pop up and at the very bottom is 'format options'. The last line is 'Channel Mode' and there is a check mark for 'Force export to mono'. If that's what you are seeing then it's a part of the program that is always there. Just make sure the box is checked and ignore it.

Congratulations on your test! :D