One Minute Test - Redkatboo [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
Redkatboo
Posts: 7
Joined: June 27th, 2020, 10:12 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Redkatboo » June 27th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Hello LibriVox! We are new to this forum and are setting up recording on a Mac with Adobe Audio Audition. (Feedback welcome on the samples below.) My daughter and I both recorded a version with the same settings. One sounds more distorted than the other, and I'm not sure how (or if) I achieved the 86-92 range? We're new to this software program and this microphone. Any help would be appreciated!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_klr_test_2_mono.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_cb_test_2_mono.mp3

Thank you!
Claire Redick

adrianstephens
Posts: 968
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » June 29th, 2020, 3:00 am

Redkatboo wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:07 pm
Hello LibriVox! We are new to this forum and are setting up recording on a Mac with Adobe Audio Audition. (Feedback welcome on the samples below.) My daughter and I both recorded a version with the same settings. One sounds more distorted than the other, and I'm not sure how (or if) I achieved the 86-92 range? We're new to this software program and this microphone. Any help would be appreciated!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_klr_test_2_mono.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_cb_test_2_mono.mp3

Thank you!
Hello Both of you,

As far as I know, we don't have groups participating under a single user name. One of you will need to create a new librivox user and submit the test under that user.

But I will give feedback here to both tests. It's just that you won't be able to do any production recording until there's an unambiguous correlation between an individual and this account.

==============

To KLR,
you certainly chose a challenging text.
You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.

You need to make some changes in order to meet Librivox's technical standards.

Required: The file's format is MP3 mono at 192 kb/s. The specification we use for all MP3 recordings in Librivox is mono 128 kb/s constant bit rate. You can set this on the "save as MP3" dialog in Audacity, and it will persist the next time you do a save.

Required: There is some noticeable background noise, which can distract from the reading. It sounds like a computer fan to me.
Please perform noise reduction using Audacity. You can highlight the noise in Audacity by changing the track's display mode to "Waveform (db)" using the little pulldown arrow just to the right of the track name. I recommend leaving it there, as I do all my editing in this mode.
Then perform noise cleaning as shown here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning.
I recommend making this a part of your editing routine. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes, but be careful of over-doing it (more than about 18dB), which can affect the quality.

Required: There are some noticeable plosives in the "P" sounds (e.g. at 5.3s). There are some different ways to fix this: 1) move away from the microphone or position in the microphone to the side of your face; 2) get a "pop" filter in front of your microphone; or 3) repair the plosives as described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inbSdGb26XQ. Prevention is much easier than cure.

Please address at least the required technical issues and upload a new version. If you quote this message in your reply, I'll get a notification and will go in and re-check.

If you haven't already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you'll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.



==============

To CB,
Exactly the same comments as to KLR, except I didn't notice any problem with Plosives.

==============





Thank you for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

PS - If you're interested in developing your technique, and have the time to spare there's a whole bunch of informative YouTube videos.
Our excellent admin Phil has recorded a lot of highly accessible videos (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos).

I have also recorded a number of YouTube videos on this subject, longer (and thereby going into more detail) than Phil's.

Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 1: Installing Audacity https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10
Part 2: Setting the Volume https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk
Part 3: The Checker Program https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c
Part 4: ReplayGain plugin https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM
Part 5: Performance and Volume https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I
Part 6: Microphones looked at https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs
Part 7: Microphones listened to https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU
Part 8: Noise Reduction Using Audacity https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0
Part 9: Avoiding Pops https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk
Part 10: Recording and Marking Mistakes https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8
Part 11: Editing Marked Speech https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI
Part 12: Recording Dramatic Works https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw
Part 13: Introduction to the Librivox forum https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o
Part 14: Participating in Librivox https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

Redkatboo
Posts: 7
Joined: June 27th, 2020, 10:12 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Redkatboo » July 1st, 2020, 7:09 pm

adrianstephens wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:00 am
Redkatboo wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:07 pm
Hello LibriVox! We are new to this forum and are setting up recording on a Mac with Adobe Audio Audition. (Feedback welcome on the samples below.) My daughter and I both recorded a version with the same settings. One sounds more distorted than the other, and I'm not sure how (or if) I achieved the 86-92 range? We're new to this software program and this microphone. Any help would be appreciated!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_klr_test_2_mono.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_cb_test_2_mono.mp3

Thank you!
Hello Both of you,

As far as I know, we don't have groups participating under a single user name. One of you will need to create a new librivox user and submit the test under that user.

But I will give feedback here to both tests. It's just that you won't be able to do any production recording until there's an unambiguous correlation between an individual and this account.

==============

To KLR,
you certainly chose a challenging text.
You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.

You need to make some changes in order to meet Librivox's technical standards.

Required: The file's format is MP3 mono at 192 kb/s. The specification we use for all MP3 recordings in Librivox is mono 128 kb/s constant bit rate. You can set this on the "save as MP3" dialog in Audacity, and it will persist the next time you do a save.

Required: There is some noticeable background noise, which can distract from the reading. It sounds like a computer fan to me.
Please perform noise reduction using Audacity. You can highlight the noise in Audacity by changing the track's display mode to "Waveform (db)" using the little pulldown arrow just to the right of the track name. I recommend leaving it there, as I do all my editing in this mode.
Then perform noise cleaning as shown here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning.
I recommend making this a part of your editing routine. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes, but be careful of over-doing it (more than about 18dB), which can affect the quality.

Required: There are some noticeable plosives in the "P" sounds (e.g. at 5.3s). There are some different ways to fix this: 1) move away from the microphone or position in the microphone to the side of your face; 2) get a "pop" filter in front of your microphone; or 3) repair the plosives as described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inbSdGb26XQ. Prevention is much easier than cure.

Please address at least the required technical issues and upload a new version. If you quote this message in your reply, I'll get a notification and will go in and re-check.

If you haven't already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you'll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.



==============

To CB,
Exactly the same comments as to KLR, except I didn't notice any problem with Plosives.

==============





Thank you for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens

PS - If you're interested in developing your technique, and have the time to spare there's a whole bunch of informative YouTube videos.
Our excellent admin Phil has recorded a lot of highly accessible videos (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos).

I have also recorded a number of YouTube videos on this subject, longer (and thereby going into more detail) than Phil's.

Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 1: Installing Audacity https://youtu.be/w_QZ15c4_10
Part 2: Setting the Volume https://youtu.be/-RoWbeJoMKk
Part 3: The Checker Program https://youtu.be/-5szxU8JE7c
Part 4: ReplayGain plugin https://youtu.be/jwmSVJIDeVM
Part 5: Performance and Volume https://youtu.be/WaekYMX519I
Part 6: Microphones looked at https://youtu.be/gcVYx3ZSrfs
Part 7: Microphones listened to https://youtu.be/607ijxEw7mU
Part 8: Noise Reduction Using Audacity https://youtu.be/KsFkmvF-9d0
Part 9: Avoiding Pops https://youtu.be/zPpz1qv0XSk
Part 10: Recording and Marking Mistakes https://youtu.be/G_ceO3YmcM8
Part 11: Editing Marked Speech https://youtu.be/la87iCO7HeI
Part 12: Recording Dramatic Works https://youtu.be/ZuRKu9s9Krw
Part 13: Introduction to the Librivox forum https://youtu.be/ukGUc_Cyr0o
Part 14: Participating in Librivox https://youtu.be/_gCcMGey04E
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
I'm going to let my daughter be attached to this account. Here is the revised test. (There is a 5 sec buffer on both ends.) Thank you for your helpful tips! I've gone through the technical ones and will be sure to finish the rest before she starts reading. Appreciate the help! https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_cb_second_test.mp3
Claire Redick

adrianstephens
Posts: 968
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » July 1st, 2020, 10:51 pm

Redkatboo wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 7:09 pm
I'm going to let my daughter be attached to this account. Here is the revised test. (There is a 5 sec buffer on both ends.) Thank you for your helpful tips! I've gone through the technical ones and will be sure to finish the rest before she starts reading. Appreciate the help! https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_cb_second_test.mp3
Dear CB,

Congratulations - this post meets librivox's technical standards. Proof Listen OK!

To clarify, this approval is for the individual CB also known as Redkatbo. It is unusual for a third party to post forum posts on behalf of somebody else, so the fact that you are talking about "my daughter" tells me we are not quite in usual territory. IMHO the best thing to do is for CB to get an account of her own, and repost this test against that accout. You (KRL) can then post your own updated test here and obtain approval.

I've asked an Admin to review this post.

Thank you for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

Redkatboo
Posts: 7
Joined: June 27th, 2020, 10:12 am
Location: Kansas

Post by Redkatboo » July 1st, 2020, 11:16 pm

adrianstephens wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 10:51 pm
Redkatboo wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 7:09 pm
I'm going to let my daughter be attached to this account. Here is the revised test. (There is a 5 sec buffer on both ends.) Thank you for your helpful tips! I've gone through the technical ones and will be sure to finish the rest before she starts reading. Appreciate the help! https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_cb_second_test.mp3
Dear CB,

Congratulations - this post meets librivox's technical standards. Proof Listen OK!

To clarify, this approval is for the individual CB also known as Redkatbo. It is unusual for a third party to post forum posts on behalf of somebody else, so the fact that you are talking about "my daughter" tells me we are not quite in usual territory. IMHO the best thing to do is for CB to get an account of her own, and repost this test against that accout. You (KRL) can then post your own updated test here and obtain approval.

I've asked an Admin to review this post.

Thank you for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens
This is Claire's account. My mom will get another account if she wants to record for Librivox in the future. Thank you!
Claire Redick

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 5524
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » July 2nd, 2020, 7:41 am

Redkatboo wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 11:16 pm
adrianstephens wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 10:51 pm
Redkatboo wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 7:09 pm
I'm going to let my daughter be attached to this account. Here is the revised test. (There is a 5 sec buffer on both ends.) Thank you for your helpful tips! I've gone through the technical ones and will be sure to finish the rest before she starts reading. Appreciate the help! https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/redkatboo_cb_second_test.mp3
Dear CB,

Congratulations - this post meets librivox's technical standards. Proof Listen OK!

To clarify, this approval is for the individual CB also known as Redkatbo. It is unusual for a third party to post forum posts on behalf of somebody else, so the fact that you are talking about "my daughter" tells me we are not quite in usual territory. IMHO the best thing to do is for CB to get an account of her own, and repost this test against that accout. You (KRL) can then post your own updated test here and obtain approval.

I've asked an Admin to review this post.

Thank you for participating in Librivox,
Adrian Stephens
This is Claire's account. My mom will get another account if she wants to record for Librivox in the future. Thank you!
Hi, Claire! That sounds like a great plan! Welcome, and let us know if you need any more help along the way!

Post Reply