1 minute test recording by Layabanoor [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Layabanoor

Post by Layabanoor » June 21st, 2020, 11:50 pm

Layabanoor

Post by Layabanoor » June 21st, 2020, 11:52 pm

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 22nd, 2020, 10:28 am

Welcome and thank you for your test(s)! Well done :D

A couple of things to fix:
- there is a bit of background hum. Please use the noise reduction effect (if you are using Audacity) or similar in a different program to clean it up a little
- the bit rate needs to be 128 kbps and constant.

Please edit the test, save, upload, and then write again in this thread. If you use Audacity and would like the step-by-step instructions for how to do noise reduction and fix bit rate, please let me know :)
Kathrine

Layabanoor

Post by Layabanoor » June 24th, 2020, 3:31 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Librivox.mp3

Well, I had reduced the noise in audacity in the previous one too but as you said it still has some humming noise so I did it again. And the bitrate is 128kbps. I don't know if it's okay..
:cry:

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 24th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Thank you for the new version :D

The previous test had bitrate 128 kbps and variable. It needs to be 128 and constant. The new version had a different bit rate. Please edit it so it is 128 kbps constant

The sound quality of the newest version is not optimal because of too much post processing (noise reduction, for instance). Was the first test you posted a raw recording? (a raw recording is one that has not been edited, for instance amplified, noise reduction). If the first recording was not raw, please upload a raw recording and post in this thread so we can start from scratch and give you the best advise :D

I know it is a bit frustrating to work through this, but it makes recording afterwards much easier :thumbs: Thank you!
Kathrine

Layabanoor

Post by Layabanoor » June 24th, 2020, 8:29 pm

This is a raw recording..actually I've recorded a new one.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Rec.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 25th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Thank you!

I can hear you clearly :thumbs:

These things need fixing. Bear with me, there are a few steps (I'm working through it on your test, as well, just to make sure everything checks out :) ):
- The project rate is 48,000 Hz; it needs to be 44,100. Go to Edit, Preferences, Quality. Change the default sample rate to 44,100.

- The volume is low and there is some background noise. If this is the case I often do one pass through noise reduction, then amplify, then noise reduce again. You may be able to increase the input volume in future recordings, either in Audacity (there is a sliding button next to the microphone sybol), on your microphone, or in your OS. The volume of this test is about 79dB. We aim for 89dB and accept a range between 87 and 91.
So, first noise reduction: .Select a few seconds of background noise only (no speech) and click Effect | Noise Reduction | Get Profile. Then select the whole recording (Ctrl+A), click Effect | Noise Reduction again. I use these settings:

Noise Reduction: 10 dB
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands) 6

and click OK.

Then, let's amplify. Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification 6.something. Please make sure to NOT check the box where it says Allow clipping. Click OK.

It will still not be loud enough, so we have to use the compress tool to bring the volume up more. Select the whole recording again and click Effect > Compressor. Settings:
Threshold: -14dB
Noise floor: -40dB
Ratio: 2:1
Attack Time: 0.20 secs
Release Time: 1.0 secs
Click OK.

And now you will be able to amplify by another 6dB or so. Please do that.

Last step is to use Noise Reduction once more :)

Phew! :thumbs: Please upload your edited test and post again in this thread so we can listen.

When you record again later, please be conscious of the placement of your microphone. In this test I am hearing plosives. This is when your breath hits the microphone on letters like P, F, or TH. Next time you record, please move your microphone a little bit to the side of your mouth or a little above or below your mouth. This will help the air pass by the mic instead of directly hitting it. You don't have to re-record for the purpose of this test, but when you record for real later, you'll want to try to avoid plosives :)
Kathrine

Layabanoor

Post by Layabanoor » June 26th, 2020, 1:23 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Recording.mp3
I did the same as you instructed and here it is..I hope I didn't made any mistakes this time :( :(

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 26th, 2020, 8:36 am

Well done, almost there now :clap:

The volume is too high now. A rule of thumb is that you'll never want the blue squiggly lines in Audacity to hit the top/bottom of the window. I use the Checker to test volume, and now it is ~99dB. This is how you lower it:
Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification -10. Click OK. When you lower the volume you don't have to worry about the check box with Allow Clipping.

This picture shows a good visual example of what the "right volume" looks like in Audacity.

Please lower the volume, upload, and post again in this thread. You're close!
Kathrine

Layabanoor

Post by Layabanoor » June 26th, 2020, 8:53 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/untitled.mp3
reduced by -10 as you instructed..

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 26th, 2020, 9:00 am

Good! Now you are within the parameters :) You can head off to the Readers Wanted forums and claim a section or two that looks interesting. We always recommend starting with something short :thumbs:

Sorry, I forgot to put the picture in in the last post. This is a visual picture of what "right volume" in AUdacity looks like. You should aim for your wave forms (not the plosive spikes ;)) to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

If you'd like to check your own volume, I recommend the Checker https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Reminder to beware of the microphone placement when you record in order to avoid the plosives.

Have fun recording!
Kathrine

Layabanoor

Post by Layabanoor » June 26th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Thank You so much..