1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
SarahC

Post by SarahC » June 20th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Hello,

Thank you in advance for listening and giving me any feedback that you may have!
I recorded this test using Audacity with a Samson GoMic.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test_sarahc.mp3

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 21st, 2020, 3:14 pm

Welcome, Sarah! Thank you for this test. :)

There are a few kinks to iron out before you begin recording for real. Your volume is very low. We'll need to crank that up. Then we'll also need to fix your bit rate.

The volume always seems to take a bit of trial and error. We aim for 89 dB, or within a range of 86-92. This test comes in at only about 72. It's easy to amplify in Audacity, but I recommend adjusting the input from your mic so that you're already in the correct range and don't need to amplify. (Also, Amplification works best when you only need to change it by a little bit, not for big jumps like this.) There's a slider bar in Audacity's toolbars with a mic icon next to it. I keep mine turned all the way up. (If you don't see it, go to View>Toolbars>Mixer Toolbar.) You can also adjust your mic's input in the audio settings of Windows (or whatever OS you have). I keep mine at 94%, but you may need a little more or a little less.

To check your own volume, I recommend getting Checker, a free program that was built specifically for LibriVox readers. It's easy to use and install and will tell you how loud your recording is in dB.

You may find that, with the volume turned up, you can suddenly hear (and see) background noise that wasn't noticeable before. Audacity comes with a great built-in tool for noise reduction that is very easy to use. If you notice white noise behind your voice, I recommend that you give it a shot.

When you're satisified with the volume and background noise (or preferably lack thereof :wink:), it's time to export. This is when you'll fix the bit rate. Go to File>Export>Export as MP3. In the box that pops up, take a look at Format Options (towards the bottom). Make sure to select Constant and 128 kbps. Then you can click Save. Audacity will save those settings for you, so you shouldn't have to mess with them again after this.

That should be it! Try it out and post your new test here. Let me know if you run into trouble.

SarahC

Post by SarahC » June 22nd, 2020, 7:32 pm

Thank you very much for this feedback and for all of the directions you provided, mightyfelix! I will work on making the necessary adjustments and then I'll do another 1-minute test.

Sarah

SarahC

Post by SarahC » June 25th, 2020, 7:59 pm

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 25th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Good job Sarah, you're so close! Now the volume is just a smidge too high, at 92.5 dB. Much, much closer than you had it before. If you want to keep fiddling with the input, you can, or for a slight adjustment like that, you can just amplify. Highlight the whole recording. (I find it easiest to do this by clicking the "Select" button at the left.) Then go to Effects>Amplify. Enter -3 in the first box. Make sure NOT to check the "Allow clipping" box. Then click ok, and you should be right aroundt the middle of the range! :D

One more upload ought to do it!

SarahC

Post by SarahC » June 28th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Test #3
Thank you for your patience and for all your guidance so far. This is all new to me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test3_sarahc.mp3

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 28th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Perfect, Sarah! This one is all good! :D Don't worry; things will get easier as you go along, I promise! Now you are ready to go claim a section or two in Readers Wanted. :thumbs: Have fun!

I will give you one more bit of caution, though. I heard a little bit of background noise in this one still, right at the very beginning. It faded out at around 0:03. I don't think noise reduction would do anything for it, but I mention it just in case you might have an idea what caused it and/or how to avoid it next time. Either way, it wouldn't prevent your recording from being accepted. :wink: Just something to watch for.

SarahC

Post by SarahC » June 29th, 2020, 7:00 am

Thank you for the feedback! I look forward to getting started!
Have a great week!
Sarah