Please Listen - Cardinals2020 1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Cardinals2020

Post by Cardinals2020 » April 25th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Hello,

My Cardinals2020 1-minute test.

Thanks!
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_cardinals2020.mp3

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 26th, 2020, 6:40 am

Hi there, welcome to LibriVox. Hope you enjoy it. Only one issue to take care of:

If you haven't already, downloading the program Checker can help you see your volume. Your volume is currently at 78.9 dbs, Librivox requires a range of 86-92 with 89 being preferred.

I strongly recommend increasing the microphone slider in Audacity (if this is the program you use), so that it will input at a higher value. Since this is quite a volume jump, this will likely give you a higher quality than what I'm about to suggest next, which is mainly for fine tuning. This method is:
1. Select your entire recording
2. Go to menu items Effect>Amplify
3. Enter whatever number you need to get to 89 (in this case 10.1) in the first box
4. Hit OK.
This should get you to the required range. If you choose this method you potentially may start to hear some background noise. To fix this you would:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise (no vocals)
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.
7. Take a listen, you may find that you want to do this over again to reduce more noise.

Once you fix this, please upload and post in this thread so I can listen. Let me know if you have questions!

P.S. If you don't mind sharing, is your username a sports reference, or something quite different?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them

Cardinals2020

Post by Cardinals2020 » April 27th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned about the volume, too. I am using Audacity, so I'll follow the instructions you gave me and hopefully that'll do the trick. :).

"Cardinals" is a reference to the St. Louis Cardinals Major League Baseball Team. I'm a lifelong fan of the team and a baseball fan in general.

Thanks again!

Have a Great Day, :)

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 27th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Cardinals2020 wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 12:27 pm
"Cardinals" is a reference to the St. Louis Cardinals Major League Baseball Team. I'm a lifelong fan of the team and a baseball fan in general.
Ah, that's awesome. I was kind of hoping for that. As there's also a Cardinals team in the NFL, I was curious. I was going to congratulate you on your nice draft (NFL), but as a 49ers fan (who are division rivals with the NFL Cardinals), I am glad to hear it's the MLB team you're thinking of. Hope sports can come back soon!

Let me know if you have difficulties with fixing your test! I will be back to listen when you're done.
Campbell

Cardinals2020

Post by Cardinals2020 » April 28th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Sorry about your 49ers this Super Bowl, but what a season they had. Here's hoping they go all the way when they start playing again!

I downloaded Checker and ran through a new recording of the test. It passed on Checker. How do I upload it on the same thread. I'm not able to attach it here.

Thanks!

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 28th, 2020, 5:50 pm

So you use the uploader and upload the file in the same way you did last time. Then you post the link here. Make sense?

While the Super Bowl did sting, going from a 4-12 record to the Super Bowl was pretty awesome, and our team is young and shows no sign of slowing down. Hope this year the football season actually happens though. It's a bummer so many sports are shut down, although it makes sense why.
Campbell

Cardinals2020

Post by Cardinals2020 » April 28th, 2020, 6:03 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_cardinals2020_take2.mp3

I'm not sure if this did it. Hope so. (fingers crossed)

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 28th, 2020, 6:18 pm

That did do it, and you are PL OK to record! Please note that at 91.8 dbs, you're only 0.2 dbs away from the upper end of the range, so as long as it doesn't get any louder you're great.

Also, at the beginning I heard a few 'plosives'. This is when your breath hits the mic hard. To prevent this, you can adjust your mic so that the breath doesn't hit it directly (move it to the side, etc.). This will not prevent you from recording for LibriVox, but is something to be aware of.

Hope to see you around!
Campbell

Cardinals2020

Post by Cardinals2020 » April 28th, 2020, 6:24 pm

YEEESSSSS!!!!!
Thank you!! Looking forward to diving in!

I'm going to try to find a happy medium within the volume range, which will hopefully help some with the plosives.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hope to see you soon, too!