One Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ggatchel

Post by ggatchel » April 17th, 2020, 11:55 am

Here's my test!
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_glogatch.mp3
I think everything seems good- I messed up the script a bit at the end. If it was a book recording I promise I would redo it to be exact.
Recorded with a Windows system, using Audacity recording software and a USB mic set up in a closet for minimal background noise.
Thank you!

Godgifu

Post by Godgifu » April 17th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Sounded acceptable to me

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 18th, 2020, 9:30 am

Ha! A little variation in the test wording is refreshing once in a while. :wink:

Sounds good! There are a couple technical things to adjust, however.

1) Your volume is too low. Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

Make sure the microphone slider in the Audacity window is all the way up. Also, have you increased your input volume in Windows yet? Here's a link to instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3#Volume

2) Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

3) Suggestion: While you don't have a lot of background noise (yay!), you do apparently have a lot in the lowest tones. They do say that low toned sounds can travel long distances, so I guess your closet doesn't shield 'em very well. :) You can run the Equalization effect, set on the setting "Low rolloff for speech". It cuts out the lowest tones without affecting the voice. (This item isn't critical, as most people listening on earbuds or headphones won't hear the low tones anyway. But people on better speakers might, and if you ever use the "Checker" program to check your recordings, and it's set to measure background noise, it does flag the amount of noise now. This step will make it not flag the noise.)

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia