1 Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
otiosus

Post by otiosus » April 17th, 2020, 7:55 am

Hey everyone,
I recorded my one minute test on the internal mic on my chromebook, and used the free version of TwistedWave software. I'll be getting a "real" microphone soon. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to get audacity to run on my chromebook via linux.
Anyway, hopefully this sounds alright.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_otiosus.mp3

taylutian

Post by taylutian » April 17th, 2020, 11:29 am

I think that it sounded good with the technology you are already using, so no need to worry too much!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 17th, 2020, 11:50 am

Welcome!

Well, you can certainly work with what you have, but if you really want to get Audacity running, I know there are others using Linux that have done it. (I'm not sure if they're running it in a virtual machine as you must be doing, though.)

Your recording is all good aside from the volume. I don't know what the wave forms look like in Twisted Wave, but in Audacity they need to peak around the halfway point. Numerically, this clocks in at almost 74 db; we aim for 89, so you need to amplify or increase your input volume another 15 dB. (Amplifying that much also amplifies background noise, though, so try the input level first.)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

otiosus

Post by otiosus » April 17th, 2020, 12:17 pm

@Tricia
TriciaG wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 11:50 am
Welcome!

Well, you can certainly work with what you have, but if you really want to get Audacity running, I know there are others using Linux that have done it. (I'm not sure if they're running it in a virtual machine as you must be doing, though.)

Your recording is all good aside from the volume. I don't know what the wave forms look like in Twisted Wave, but in Audacity they need to peak around the halfway point. Numerically, this clocks in at almost 74 db; we aim for 89, so you need to amplify or increase your input volume another 15 dB. (Amplifying that much also amplifies background noise, though, so try the input level first.)
I found what you were talking about and we able to modify the amps - adding an additional 15. Thanks for the advice, and for the welcome
taylutian wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 11:29 am
I think that it sounded good with the technology you are already using, so no need to worry too much!
Thank you ! :D

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 17th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Great! Would you please upload another test at the new volume, so I can check the background noise?
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia