AlexLorian’s 1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian » April 16th, 2020, 10:46 am

Hello everyone,

I’m a newbie at LibriVox, please listen to this test and tell me if anything’s wrong, feedback is much appreciated! :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77651&start=75

THANKS!

AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian » April 16th, 2020, 4:46 pm

AlexLorian wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:46 am
Hello everyone,

I’m a newbie at LibriVox, please listen to this test and tell me if anything’s wrong, feedback is much appreciated! :D

THANKS!
Oh sorry, the link seems to lead to another page for some reason. :hmm: :?: I will post another one in ~5 mins

AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian » April 16th, 2020, 4:49 pm

AlexLorian wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 4:46 pm
AlexLorian wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:46 am
Hello everyone,

THANKS!
Oh sorry, the link seems to lead to another page for some reason. :hmm: :?: I will post another one in ~5 mins
Here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_alexlorian.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 18th, 2020, 9:10 am

Welcome! Sorry about the delay in someone checking your test. :)

Ooo, there WAS a breath in there! :lol: You can slow down a bit on a "regular" recording. ;)

Sounds good otherwise. There are some tech settings to fix, however. Are you using Audacity? I'm going to assume you are when I give directions on how to fix things.

1) Your volume is too low. Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

Make sure the microphone slider in the Audacity window is all the way up. Also, have you increased your input volume in Windows/OS yet? Here's a link to instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3#Volume

2) The recording is in stereo. To change all future recordings, go to Edit, Preferences, Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)".

3) Bit rate is 320 kbps; it needs to be 128. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the quality to 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian » April 18th, 2020, 10:33 am

TriciaG wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 9:10 am
Welcome! Sorry about the delay in someone checking your test. :)

Ooo, there WAS a breath in there! :lol: You can slow down a bit on a "regular" recording. ;)

Sounds good otherwise. There are some tech settings to fix, however. Are you using Audacity? I'm going to assume you are when I give directions on how to fix things.

1) Your volume is too low. Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

Make sure the microphone slider in the Audacity window is all the way up. Also, have you increased your input volume in Windows/OS yet? Here's a link to instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3#Volume

2) The recording is in stereo. To change all future recordings, go to Edit, Preferences, Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)".

3) Bit rate is 320 kbps; it needs to be 128. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the quality to 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)

I am not using Audacity; the program I am using is simple and does not offer volume increasing/stereo to mono changing. However, I could download it if needed. :D

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 18th, 2020, 10:42 am

If the program you are using is that simple, can you use it for editing? (If you record a chapter, then find you have to fix something in that chapter such as re-recording a sentence or adding/removing something?)

It would probably be easier in the long run to use something like Audacity. :)

AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian » April 18th, 2020, 11:11 am

TriciaG wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 10:42 am
If the program you are using is that simple, can you use it for editing? (If you record a chapter, then find you have to fix something in that chapter such as re-recording a sentence or adding/removing something?)

It would probably be easier in the long run to use something like Audacity. :)
Surprisingly, I can. I can select sections and edit them out or delete everything else.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 18th, 2020, 11:59 am

Oh, okay. But we still need to figure out how you can volume adjust and change it to mono. :)

AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian » April 18th, 2020, 12:58 pm

TriciaG wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 11:59 am
Oh, okay. But we still need to figure out how you can volume adjust and change it to mono. :)
I used an online converter for this.
8-)
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_alexlorian_3.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 18th, 2020, 1:15 pm

This is okay now. The volume is a touch loud, but it's within the OK range. :)

(That very first spike on "people" is clipping, or going over maximum. If you simply had it amplified to its highest level, try amplifying to just a little bit below the highest.)

There's a small program the spouse of a LibriVoxer developed to check the tech settings. If you're game, you can download it and use it to check the volume and other settings. It's here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
The volume information is in the Information tab. We aim for 89 dB, but anything between about 86 and 92 is good.

marking this off as OK!

AlexLorian

Post by AlexLorian » April 18th, 2020, 1:40 pm

TriciaG wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 1:15 pm
This is okay now. The volume is a touch loud, but it's within the OK range. :)

(That very first spike on "people" is clipping, or going over maximum. If you simply had it amplified to its highest level, try amplifying to just a little bit below the highest.)

There's a small program the spouse of a LibriVoxer developed to check the tech settings. If you're game, you can download it and use it to check the volume and other settings. It's here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
The volume information is in the Information tab. We aim for 89 dB, but anything between about 86 and 92 is good.

marking this off as OK!
:thumbs: Thanks :wink: