1 Minute Test - Feedback Wanted

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
bholmes

Post by bholmes » April 16th, 2020, 9:21 am

Hello, Here's my test! I used the suggested audio on the information page so its not a full minute.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivoxoneminutetest.mp3

GarageBand
Mac OS
USB Mic

taylutian

Post by taylutian » April 16th, 2020, 1:57 pm

You handled the alliteration in the beginning very well. I think you might be a little close to the mic because after you say all the words starting with a P, I can hear the breath after it. Have Confidence! :D

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » April 16th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Hi. You need to make a few technical adjustments.

1. This file was is the wrong format. It is in stereo and saved as a 320 kbps mp3. In Garage Band, I think you set this when you export to mp3. You need to export as a 128 kbps mono, constant rate mp3 file.

2. You have a number of plosives on consonants which occur when your breath hits the microphone as you speak. You hear these as a pop and also can see these in your recording. They are the thin vertical lines that go above and below the rest of the recording. Try moving your microphone a little to one side or just below or above your mouth when speaking to eliminate these from your recordings. A pop filter can also help with this.

3. If you would like to try Audacity, you could try reducing the background using th Noise Reduction plugin. You also may find it easier to edit longer recordings.

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

Please try these adjustments and upload another test. Just post the link to this same thread to keep all your tests together.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman