1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
lookAlive24

Post by lookAlive24 » April 15th, 2020, 2:09 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lookalive24.mp3
this is my one minute test. Recorded in Logic Pro X on Mac with a Blue Bluebird condenser microphone running through a Focusrite Scarlett USB interface.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 15th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Welcome!

It sounds really good! There are a couple settings to adjust, however. I am not familiar with Logic Pro, so you'll need to figure out how to change them.

1) The recording is in stereo; we use mono.

2) Your volume is on the low side. If you could get it up a little higher, it would be better. :) You have one loud vowel blast (on "actual" at 0:20) that will prevent you from doing a straight amplification. With awareness, you can modulate your voice a bit to not blast out a vowel like that, so that you can properly amplify. Or you can just zoom in, reduce the volume on that spike, then amplify your whole recording by about 2-3 dB.

3) Your bit rate is 160 kbps; we need 128 kbps. This is a setting when you export to MP3.

That's it - two quick setting changes, and the ever-problematic volume. ;) Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

lookAlive24

Post by lookAlive24 » April 20th, 2020, 12:39 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_lookalive24.mp3

A second attempt at my one minute test. I was not able to figure out how to change the settings in Logic, so I went ahead and downloaded Audacity. Let me know how this sounds?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 20th, 2020, 12:51 pm

All is good now! :thumbs:

You might want to run the "equalization" effect set to the curve "Low rolloff for speech" to lessen the very lowest toned noise. But that's being picky. :)

Marking this off as OK. Holler if you have any questions, but you're good to go!
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia