1-Minute Test (english - portuguese) [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Katakrys

Post by Katakrys » April 11th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Hello, I hope this message finds you well.
Here is my 1-minute test
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Katakrys.mp3

Setup:
Audacity
Ubuntu 18.04
Microphone from laptop (dell)

schrm

Post by schrm » April 13th, 2020, 7:24 am

Katakrys wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 5:52 pm
Hello, I hope this message finds you well.
Here is my 1-minute test

Setup:
Audacity
Ubuntu 18.04
Microphone from laptop (dell)
heyho fellow ubuntu user :-)

thank you for your test and will to contribute!

a good and a bad news:
i think, your reading is good to understand, and i think with a little trial anderror we will get to perfect results!
but first...and i assume, that is thereason you had to wait for the test results because...
there are multiple issues, also rare ones.

first the rare problem we have to solve:
your recording is way to low in volume. and also after amplifying it to our standards, it was way too silent.
and that could be, because the laptop microphone is too far away?
is it on the back of your laptop?
or at the bottom?
most times, they are in the area of your front cam, in the middle above your laptop screen. but without speaking directly into this mic, you have to find a way to come closer - or speak louder without causing negatve mic reactions.
so,i recommend to try and record a session, were yourspeaking is better andeasier to understand.

there are also some technical basics, which are, according to our checker software:
The bit rate should be 128 kbps.  

The recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR).  

The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).  
very easy to solve: you have to adjust your exporting settings, only!
i made a screenshot some weeks ago:
(the mp3 dialogue=green numer 1 at the top right corner vanished, since then. the rest is the same)

so, please try to record so, that i can hear you louder - and we will get nearer to a pl ok :-)
and please, post here after doing so - or i won't know!

cheers,

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, rousseau, hoffmann: sommerfrische

Katakrys

Post by Katakrys » April 13th, 2020, 10:03 am

Hi, schrm (Bist du ein Schirm?)

So, I've changed the microphone input volume and I think it's better now. I've also saved it as constant, 128kbps and mono
I hope this is finally right.

best regards

schrm

Post by schrm » April 13th, 2020, 10:49 am

Katakrys wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 10:03 am
Hi, schrm (Bist du ein Schirm?)

So, I've changed the microphone input volume and I think it's better now. I've also saved it as constant, 128kbps and mono
I hope this is finally right.

best regards
hallo katarina,

yesn't :-D
while some people believe, that it is some kind of schutzschirm, or protecting umbrella metaphor, it derives from a cat's purr.
but that, for me, is something similar like looking into a fireplace, feeling a protecting umbrella...

:D

thank you, input volume did the trick!
perfect!

and, please: no need to say sorry! :D
we are here to pl your test, we try our best and help each other - nothing more, nothing less :-)

so, back to the test. most aspects and tech basics are all right now, but: the background noise is enormous with a metered level of 60db.
on the other hand, checker meters noise when 5 seconds of silence are missiing at the end of the file.
i tried it, copied the last two? seconds and pasted them at the end, until i got ca 5 seconds.
then i tried it with changing the parameters of noise reduction...and well, i don't hear that much difference.
but since checker meters a big difference, here we go:

background noise is solved within a few mouse clicks!
1. select the 5 seconds silence at the end of the file 
2. in the menue bar, choose effects > choose noise reduction > choose get noise profile
3. select the whole track (eg with clicking into the little window at the left of the audio track, showing some stats and data / or with ctrl+a / manual selection)
4. in the menue bar, choose effects > choose again noise reduction
in the window, that appears, there are 3 parameters: i entered 25 db in the first line (in german it is called noise reduction) (and sensitivity 6: and frequency something: 3 in the other two lines).

please, don't read another new file!
instead, edit your existing recording!

and after that, i'm sure, we will have reached a pl ok!

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

Katakrys

Post by Katakrys » April 14th, 2020, 5:39 am

Hallo Protecting umbrella (or cat's purr(?) :mrgreen:

I did use the noise reduction effect in the first place, but I was using 12dB.
I don't know why I've deleted the 5 seconds at the end, since I've used it to reduct the noise before. Must got distracted with something and forgot the instructions about living the 5sec

This time I changed it to 25dB and it seems better. I hope this is right now :D

Thank you for your time

schrm

Post by schrm » April 14th, 2020, 5:42 am

Katakrys wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 5:39 am
Hallo Protecting umbrella (or cat's purr(?) :mrgreen:

I did use the noise reduction effect in the first place, but I was using 12dB.
I don't know why I've deleted the 5 seconds at the end, since I've used it to reduct the noise before. Must got distracted with something and forgot the instructions about living the 5sec

This time I changed it to 25dB and it seems better. I hope this is right now :D

Thank you for your time
heyho,

please, post the new upload link - so that i know which file to pl!

regarding the noise reduction: sometimes, checker meters false positives..
but as i tried to edit your file, i was succesful and reached a noise level like 20-30 db...

so, please post the new link and i will look, if there is anything left to do :D

/reader/12275
thx!

Katakrys

Post by Katakrys » April 19th, 2020, 7:40 am

Oh, right, I forgot to copy the link, I've uploaded it again because I didn't know how to recover it

Thank you

schrm

Post by schrm » April 19th, 2020, 8:46 am

Katakrys wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 7:40 am
Oh, right, I forgot to copy the link, I've uploaded it again because I didn't know how to recover it

Thank you
heyho,

yes, i was looking for it but couldn't find a new version.
:clap: thx to you: now i have the link!

your recording is better!
two notes to add:
--> the background noise is metered with 46db - that is too much, still.
you should try and add the 25 db to the 12 db and make a noise reduction of around 30? 35? db?

-> at the end of your recording, there is a sort of plop sound. maybe you bumped at the mic stand?
in a recording, you will have to edit the plop sound (cut or amplify -50 db?)

anyways, my ears say it's ok.
and checker gives ok with a warning.

so: checker and pl ok

and i hope, other dpl wil help you further!

:D i saw, you have uploaded a section, already - and maybe you want to edit it now :-)

you are ready to go and contribute to the public domain - many many thanks for your patience and have fun!

cheers,

/reader/12275
thx!

Katakrys

Post by Katakrys » April 19th, 2020, 3:58 pm

oh, it's a little bit frustrating. But I'll try to edit this 1minute test and the section I recorded (I've choosen one really small with only 3 minutes because I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I didn't thought I would have to redo it so many times)

I don't know if the microphone is at the touchpad, but this could explain why it has been touched during the record.

schrm

Post by schrm » April 20th, 2020, 2:42 am

Katakrys wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 3:58 pm
oh, it's a little bit frustrating. But I'll try to edit this 1minute test and the section I recorded (I've choosen one really small with only 3 minutes because I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but I didn't thought I would have to redo it so many times)

I don't know if the microphone is at the touchpad, but this could explain why it has been touched during the record.
hi katakrys,

that is hard to write in english and i hope, i am able to explain it to you.
i am not able to express my thoughts in english, every time and others have to deal with that. also i have to deal with other peoples opinions.

there are some lections to be learned on librivox - it is an interesting hobby, indeed.
one of them is:
- you have to accept opinions of others
- you have to be able to fight your perfectionism and be able to find a balance, be satisfied with "not perfect" results

i gave you the pl ok already, that was my honest opinion!
also my honest answer was a hint to two problems, you may meet again in future. we all have some problems and edit them.
if you cannot stand the truthor decide for yourself and accept my rating as pl ok - that is another thing as: i decide to try to get it right.
if you want to edit your file, i'm alright.
but you were writing that it is a little bit frustrating.

so please: don't get addicted on perfectionism!
i told you i think your recording is ok, nice to listen to, you know how to edit your recordings in future - and that is sufficient and totally ok.

and while i certainly will pl another version of your test, and i understand that you want to get a result "pl ok" without any doubts...
if that is your wish and your decision...
please: you have to differ and shouldn't get frustrated, because of your own wishes.

well, most of us have to fight our perfectionism, also.
but i want to be sure that you understand my hints as "freedom to decide with informations", and not as "duty to do".

greetings from tyrol,
cheers,

/reader/12275
thx!