1-Minute Test by SamhitaM26 [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
SamhitaM26

Post by SamhitaM26 » March 16th, 2020, 7:15 am

here is the link to my test recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_samhitam26.mp3

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » March 16th, 2020, 9:10 am

SamhitaM26 wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 7:15 am
here is the link to my test recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_samhitam26.mp3
Hi, Samhita! I came over here to see if you had a file waiting, and so I'll help with your test :)

You have a very pretty voice and natural reading style! You'll be a terrific addition to LibriVox. :)

(You didn't mention what software you're using - since the majority use Audacity, that's what I'll talk of here) The technical settings for your recording need to be set to the parameters that LibriVox has to use for the archiving system.
Namely:

Sound has to be Mono (a single track will show on the recording window),
Constant bit rate has to be set
Bit rate has to be 128 hbps

Specific directions for all of those are included in these two pages: 1-Minute Test, and that page contains a link for using Audacity: Audacity 1-2-3

(Once you get these set properly, they stay that way for future recordings. Note that some are done in the main recording window, and some are done in the exporting to MP3 window.)

Other than the technical specs, two items need tweaking - The volume is the tiniest bit too high when I run the file through Checker. And when I play the file, there are plosives on the "P's" and a lot of crackling - but mostly all of this is in the first 5 seconds and last 2 seconds. I'm wondering if you were speaking closer to the microphone at those times than you were in the middle? The middle is great, both with lack of plosives/crackling, and volume-wise.

So - I recommend opening those links I shared, to be able to fix the technical settings in the recording platform, then re-read the blurb, taking care about being a little further away from the microphone than before. (That will also lower the volume, so don't change that just yet.)

Give that new recording a listen and see if the crackling and plosives went away. If not, experiment again with a different distance from the microphone. If so, export the new file, maybe name it test_samhitam26_2 - upload the new file, and post the link in a reply here.

We'll get your set-up sorted so you can have fun with real recordings. :) Glad to have you on board!
~Lynette in Colorado, USA (I will be away from LibriVox until Tuesday, for our daughter's wedding. :9: )
My Sections

Readers Needed:
The Book of Jubilees

SamhitaM26

Post by SamhitaM26 » March 17th, 2020, 9:36 am

ok thank you so much, here is the link for the second version of my test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_samhitam26_2.mp3

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » March 17th, 2020, 10:10 am

Hi, Samhita :)

We still need to get your bit rate to 128 kbps, and Constant.

Also, the volume is still a wee bit over the limit.

So - Open your Audacity, and where you can see the Recording Volume slider, bump that down by .1 spot.

Now record the sentence again (yay, the plosives have gone away!). When you tell it to export to MP3, in the lower half of that window you will see some Format Options.

For Bit Rate Mode, select the radio button for "Constant"

For Quality, select the drop-down choice for "128 kbps"

And for Channel Mode, make sure it is set to "Force export to mono"

Now Save it, changing the file name ending to 3 instead of 2 - oh, and add _128kb to the end, as well. Upload this one and reply here with that new link.

No worries - we'll get this all settled so you can have fun. I remember very well how confusing it seemed to me to get things set up. It gets fixed, though, and then you can have the fun! :)
~Lynette in Colorado, USA (I will be away from LibriVox until Tuesday, for our daughter's wedding. :9: )
My Sections

Readers Needed:
The Book of Jubilees

SamhitaM26

Post by SamhitaM26 » March 18th, 2020, 7:06 am

Hey, I actually looked and I couldn't find the bit rate or the quality. Where exactly would it be on the program? I'm sorry for the hundreds of times we have to redo this.

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » March 18th, 2020, 7:24 am

No Worries. It is very confusing when you are setting up! I remember. :)

You will find the bit rate and quality on the pop-up window when you tell the file to export to MP3.
My Sections

Readers Needed:
The Book of Jubilees

SamhitaM26

Post by SamhitaM26 » March 19th, 2020, 12:55 pm

ok thanks, i think i finally figured everything out.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_samhitam26_3.mp3

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » March 19th, 2020, 4:35 pm

SamhitaM26 wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 12:55 pm
ok thanks, i think i finally figured everything out.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_samhitam26_3.mp3
There it is! Woohoo :clap: You are ready to go out and have fun recording. :)
My Sections

Readers Needed:
The Book of Jubilees