1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
skgm1010

Post by skgm1010 » March 13th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Hello!

Please find the link to my test recording and the technology that I used to produce this recording below.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_skgm1010.mp3

Recording Software: Audacity
Operating System: Mac
Mic Type: USB

Thank you! :)

Edit: I noticed that I have some high-pitched noises when pronouncing certain sounds. Is there any way to minimize these sounds? The mic I am using does not have any type of "pop filter"; would investing in one help?

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » March 14th, 2020, 10:38 am

Welcome to LV!
A pop filter may help. I suggest starting with your mic placement. Place your finger on the mic. If you can feel your breath as you read then move the mic slightly.

This recording was absolutely fine. You sound nice a clear and meet all the requirements. Proof Listen (PL) OK. :clap: :clap:

You may now record for projects. We suggest starting in short works until you are comfortable with the editing process.

When you have some time please take a look at our wiki. It's a wonderful resource.

Have fun and thank you for contributing.

audiomike

Post by audiomike » March 15th, 2020, 9:03 am

A pop filter won't help. Your problem is with sibilance (the high pitched 's' sounds). They can be a bit irritating over a long listening session. There are a number of ways to get rid of it but the most common ones are:

1 Angle the mic away from your mouth, which results in a loss of some of the quality of your voice. Singers can get away with it because they're loud, but it's not a good choice for spoken word.
2 Get a better mic. Most people don't want to do that.
3 Get rid of it in Audacity, probably your best option.

To get rid of it in Audacity do the following:
First, and always do this, save a copy of your original recording as a backup.
Open the original in Audacity.
Select the entire file
Go to the Effect menu and select Notch Filter
Put in a Frequency of 7000 and a Q of 0.7
Click on OK.

Give it a listen and compare the two files.