1 Min test by VRAVI

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
vravi

Post by vravi » March 4th, 2020, 8:18 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_vravi.mp3

Recorded with Audacity on a Windows PC using a USB mic.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » March 10th, 2020, 5:37 am

Hello Vaishali (did I catch your name correctly ?) welcome to our forum and thanks for starting out with a test. I just had a listen and your voice sounds very nice and enthusiastic, so I'm sure you will like it here. 8-)

However before you can launch into an official recording, we need to tweak some of your settings to make them LV standard.

No need to re-record. Let's work with the test we have here. You are using Audacity, so that is great, I can give you a step-by-step on how to edit your file. Please do the following:

1) the volume is barely 70 dB (I did not hear anything without amplifing ;) ) We need between 86 and 92 dB. But you can amplify easily, like this:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 20 in the first upper box (called "amplification dB" / change nothing in the lower box !)
> press ok

You will see that your soundwaves are much more visible now. This is the amount of volume we usually require. Now you could amplify each time, but maybe you can boost the input volume on your microphone from the start ? That would make things easier. Check the slider bar in Audacity, in the upper bar, next to the microphone icon. Is it all the way up to the + sign on the right ? If not, do that, it may help already. Also there may be a toggle on the microphone to boost the volume.

2) now the background noise was quite noticeable, and you amplified this by 20 as well in the process. So we need to noise-clean this new file:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

3) and finally your bitrate is variable, we need 128kbps constant. This gets changed in the exporting phase:

> go to File / Export Audio
> open Options in the lower right corner
> select the following settings: Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps
> press Ok

That would be all. Please do these three changes and reupload and post the new link in this same thread (just push the reply button in the lower left corner). That way I get notified and can have a second listen.

If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia