1-minute test - Aaloysiusbenz [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
aaloysiusbenz

Post by aaloysiusbenz » February 5th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Hello, everyone! I've just started out and have used Audacity on Win10, via a USB headset mic.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_aaloysiusbenz.mp3

Thanks for any feedback!

adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens » February 7th, 2020, 11:56 am

aaloysiusbenz wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 8:53 pm
Hello, everyone! I've just started out and have used Audacity on Win10, via a USB headset mic.

Thanks for any feedback!
Hello Aloysius,
Welcome to librivox. You have a nice clear voice, I had no trouble understanding you.

As it stands you meet Librivox technical standards. Proof Listen OK!. :thumbs:

I'll take your request for feedback to provide additional information to provide constructive criticsm.
I think you need to slow down. I could follow you, but you need the listener time to think. I know this is an artificial test,
but in a real reading, you will need to follow a slower pace - or you will wear yourself and your listeners out!

Advisory: There is some barely noticeable background noise. Please experiment perform noise cleaning as shown here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning. I recommend making this a part of your editing routine. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes. You can also move closer to the mic, this will make a lot of difference - but watch out for those popping "p"s !

If you a new version and quote this message in your reply, I'll get a notification and will go in and re-check.

If you haven't already, you might spend some time browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you'll find useful and informative about who does what, and various technical aspects.

Then spend some time becoming familiar with the forum and looking for projects that you think you'd enjoy working on. Just jump right in wherever it feels comfortable. Most of all, always have fun. You'll find lots of interesting material to record. If you're like me, you'll also discover you're learning a lot in the process and being exposed to books I otherwise wouldn't have opened or known about. You'll be contributing to an interesting project and interacting with a lot of fun and varied fellow LibriVox volunteers in the process.

Thank you again for participating in Librivox
Adrian Stephens

aaloysiusbenz

Post by aaloysiusbenz » February 9th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Hi Adrian,

Thanks kindly for your feedback! I slowed down a bit for this version, but I imagine I should go even slower - I usually listen to audiobooks at a slightly faster speed, but recording and listening are two completely different beasts. I was able to clean up some of the background noise using the wiki page you linked. Version two seems to be an improvement.

I've got a new version uploaded under the same title per test submit rules. I'm not sure if I should re-title as something else.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Best,
A. Aloysius Benz

adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens » February 10th, 2020, 3:04 am

aaloysiusbenz wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 9:53 pm
Hi Adrian,

Thanks kindly for your feedback! I slowed down a bit for this version, but I imagine I should go even slower - I usually listen to audiobooks at a slightly faster speed, but recording and listening are two completely different beasts. I was able to clean up some of the background noise using the wiki page you linked. Version two seems to be an improvement.

I've got a new version uploaded under the same title per test submit rules. I'm not sure if I should re-title as something else.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Best,
A. Aloysius Benz

Hello Aloysius,
Speed will always be subjective. Some will want you to read fast, because they just want to get on with the story. Some will want you to read slow becuase they need time to comprehend. And some forms of reading require "natural" (drama) or poetic delivery. This version is an improvement. There is still a little background noise (I think you did quite a light cleaning), but it's only there if I'm looking for it.

You are right to use the same title. The system saves the old name by appending a date-stamp, so nothing is ever lost.

This time around you did not include the 5 s of quiet at the end. Doesn't matter for this test, but you will get pulled up on this for a proper reading.
Now go and do some reading!

Best Wishes,
Adrian