1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
spine

Post by spine » September 9th, 2019, 11:08 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test.mp3

here is my test. I'm using Audacity on windows with an analog mic. Let me know what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 14th, 2019, 4:39 am

Hi Wesley (if I caught your name correctly), welcome to the forum and thanks for starting out with a test.

I had a listen to it and after some tweaking the result was not so bad. You have a clear voice and you articulate nicely, I was able to understand it all well and it was nice to listen to.

Now I mentioned tweaking...here is what you have to do.

1) the volume was way too low (I had to crank it up to hear anything). We accept between 86 and 92 dB, yours was about 76 dB only. You are using Audacity, so here is the easy-step by step:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 13 (in your case now, to get to a good average) in the first upper box (called "amplification dB")
> press ok

2) the second thing you need to do is noise cleaning, because wow, you have a lot of background noise. First of all it's good to track the source of this noise and try to do something against it. Basically you should choose the most quiet spot in your house to record, close the windows, turn off AC or fan or heater or fridge in the vicinity and keep the mic away from any electrical appliance ;)

you can noise clean in post-processing in Audacity, but there are limits and it might distort the sound. I tried it now for your recording, and it worked, but with less noise to start out with, this would be so much better still. Could you try this out yourself please:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually that's at the end of your file, but you left barely any silence there, so I chose the sample in the middle, from 0:23-0:25)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

I even made a second pass of cleaning, because the first wasn't enough.

Could you do these two corrections please and reupload in this same thread so I can have another listen ? If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia

spine

Post by spine » September 14th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Thank you, once I get a chance I will re-record and post the (hopefully) improved version here.