My test recording [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ArthurNascimento

Post by ArthurNascimento » September 9th, 2019, 5:37 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ArthurNascimento.mp3

Thank you for everyone who might listen. I'm using Audacity

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2019, 4:02 am

hello Arthur and welcome to the forum :)

thank you for your test, the technical settings in Audacity are all correct and LV standard :thumbs: The reading itself is also very nicely done and well understandable. So far so good.

However you have quite a lot of background rustling. I wonder what is causing this ? Would you be able to track the source of this noise and maybe cancel it out somehow ? Maybe and electrical appliance in the vicinity or traffic outside. Basically you should choose the quietest spot in the house to record ;)

Audacity can noise-clean up to a point but here it's really very pronounced. I would suggest making a quick re-recording in a quieter spot if possible. Alternatively you can try the noise-cleaning function, just to get the hang of it:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file, but there is a lot of strange noise there...I would suggest try the small portion around the 0:15 mark, this is a nice sample of noise)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

Maybe it will do the trick. But a quieter spot would be highly recommendable. The reading is otherwise fine, so it would be a pity if the listening experience was marred a bit by the noise.

Please reupload the new or corrected test in this same thread, so I get notified and I can have another look :)

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask

Sonia

ArthurNascimento

Post by ArthurNascimento » September 12th, 2019, 8:01 am

Kitty wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 4:02 am
However you have quite a lot of background rustling. I wonder what is causing this ?
Oh, its that I was recording from my living room, But I'll be back to my room tomorrow at the latest. It might also be my CPU heating, but I was able to get past that before.
Kitty wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 4:02 am
Audacity can noise-clean up to a point but here it's really very pronounced. I would suggest making a quick re-recording in a quieter spot if possible. Alternatively you can try the noise-cleaning function, just to get the hang of it:
I thought of noise cleaning, but since the instructions stated it was better to leave the demo as DAW as possible, I left it as it was. I'll noise-clean now but I think I'll end up re-recording from my room tomorrow.

Thanks for listening, Kitty.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2019, 9:00 am

ArthurNascimento wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:01 am
It might also be my CPU heating, but I was able to get past that before.
yes if possible don't put the microphone too near the computer fan. Or if you have the possibilty of running it on battery, that reduces the noise of the fan immensely
I thought of noise cleaning, but since the instructions stated it was better to leave the demo as DAW as possible, I left it as it was.
yes we recommend that because we want to see if maybe you don't need any noisecleaning at all. Because if it's not needed, excessive cleaning could distort the sound. So we suggest it only when needed ;) In your case I would do it though :lol: but maybe the other room is really quieter.

If you listen back to your recording and you think the noise is too loud, then try my step-by-step for Audacity. :) Looking forward to your next test.

Thanks

Sonia

ArthurNascimento

Post by ArthurNascimento » September 12th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Kitty wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:00 am
Or if you have the possibilty of running it on battery, that reduces the noise of the fan immensely
It does? Okay, I'll try that. Thanks.

ArthurNascimento

Post by ArthurNascimento » September 12th, 2019, 1:55 pm

After a day of trying, I've decided I'll record from my phone until I can buy a microphone.
With that said, here's the new recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ArthurNascimento.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 12th, 2019, 11:08 pm

yes :thumbs: now this sounds much better, and all the technical bits are ok as well. If this was done on your phone, you have a great microphone in that phone.

I can mark the test OK and you are ready to roll 8-) I hope you already had a look around the forum and found some projects where you want to contribute.

Have fun !

Sonia

ArthurNascimento

Post by ArthurNascimento » September 13th, 2019, 4:11 am

Kitty wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 11:08 pm
If this was done on your phone, you have a great microphone in that phone.
Yeah, I would never have guessed if I didn't try. I mean, I knew it would sound good if I was close to the mic because I'm used to recording random stuff on it, but I thought that if I put the phone too far away from myself, it wouldn't capture the audio that well. I was wrong.

Thank you so much for approving me and yes, I have a few projects in mind already.