One-minute test - please review

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
davidseeber

Post by davidseeber » August 10th, 2019, 3:45 am

Dear Librivox volunteers,

I just recorded my one-minute test for you to review! Please can you let me know if it's alright?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/davidseeber_oneminutetest.mp3

I used Checker and the volume was apparently too low (82 dB) so I used Audacity to Amplify it to 89 dB. I also used the Noise Reduction but there still seems to be some noise... Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

David

davidseeber

Post by davidseeber » August 10th, 2019, 4:00 am

FYI, the microphone is the one in my Google Pixel smartphone, and I recorded the file using the Recorder app in Android.

Because it was recorded as a WAV, I re-exported it as an MP3 using Audacity on my laptop.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 10th, 2019, 10:27 am

Welcome!

All the settings check out. 8-) And it sounds good for being a phone mic!

Since you know how to use Checker to fix your volume, you should be able to do fine with this setup. :) Or you could install ReplayGain, so you don't have to leave Audacity to figure out how much to amplify your recordings. Instructions for installing and using it are on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

Some noise is normal. But you said you did noise reduction? Would you be able to upload a version where you didn't do noise reduction, so I can see/hear what it is like originally? Maybe I can recommend more effective settings.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long