1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
locturne

Post by locturne » August 5th, 2019, 5:18 am

Hello!

Here is my 1-minute test recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_locturne.mp3

With noise reduction: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_locturne_noise_reduction.mp3 (but it sounds... the exact same :hmm:)

Software: Audacity
Mic type: analog

Thank you :D

Marion

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 6th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Welcome!

Well, you don't have a lot of noise, so you won't hear much difference in the background noise after doing noise reduction. However, I do hear a whistle, squeak, or other sound at a higher pitch. It starts around 4 seconds into your recording and goes all the way to the end.

First, though, your volume is a little low. Could you move your mic slider up maybe 1/2 to 1 notch? Or is it at the top already?

Regarding that squeak/whistle: are you running a fan or other item that is causing that sound? If so, you'll need to turn it off during recording. If you cannot figure out what it is, then do this on all your recordings:

- Highlight the whole recording
- Go to Effect / Notch Filter
- Put 3600 in for Frequency, 5 in for Q
Run it.

This will filter out that frequency of whistle/sound.

Be sure to delete the mic thumps at the start and very end of the file. You don't want these in recordings. ;)

That's it! Please adjust your input volume a bit upward, record again, and use the Notch Filter. Don't do noise removal for now; I want to hear it without, and I think you don't need it anyway. :) Upload the resulting file and post in this thread when it's ready.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

locturne

Post by locturne » August 6th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Thank you for your feedback! :D

Yes the mic slider was already at the top. I guess I should amplify the sound a little more then?

I also tried to use the Notch Filter but it made no difference, but then I realized I had picked the wrong mic type in the roll down menu ^^; and the weird static noise disappeared! Still I used the Notch Filter on the recording for good measure (but no background noise removal).

Here is the second recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_locturne02_notch_filter.mp3 (guaranteed without mic thumps :D )

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 6th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Ooo, with the right microphone selected, it sounds great!

No need to use noise reduction, and you probably don't have to use the notch filter.

This is good to go - volume is good, too.

Go record "for real"!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long