new volunteer- test/audio critique

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
LaurelFaye

Post by LaurelFaye » July 31st, 2019, 8:00 pm

Hi there! I'm LaurelFaye, and I'm just getting started on here. Please help me out by giving me some constructive criticism/feedback. thanks! :P
Using Audacity, Windows, & a build in mic (for now). Link is below:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_laurelfaye.mp3

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » August 1st, 2019, 1:43 pm

Hi there,

My name is Luke and I'll be taking over your test..

Just 2 quick things

1) Volume: We need 86-92dB with 89dB being ideal. Your at 75.1 (so close!) this is what we need to do
Select the whole file in audacity
Go to effects>amplify
Type 15 in the top box
Hit apply

(In the future you may want to turn up your microphone slider so that you don't have to do this all the time :D)

2) Noise Reduction: Next up lets reduce your noise. It was at 41 but after amplification it is at 51 (which is quite loud)
Select a small amount of your file with no talking in it
Go to effect>noise reduction
Click learn
After that go back and select the whole file
Head back over to that Noise Reduction page
Click apply

Once you do that reupload your test and I'll have another look.
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

LaurelFaye

Post by LaurelFaye » August 1st, 2019, 2:26 pm

i appreciate your help, but i'm having trouble with the software. i think i have a different version than you do because i'm not able to follow your directions in order to fix the audio clip.

How can you see how many decibels a clip reaches? I'd like to use your suggestion of adjusting my microphone and start fresh and make sure the decibels are in range on the new clip.

also, the instructions for noise reduction don't compute with my version of the software. do i want the noise reduction to be set higher or lower?

thanks again... i have tried my best to make it work. i think it sounds better, but i'm still not sure how to double check on the decibels and such so i can proof my own stuff before sending it out.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_laurelfaye.mp3

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » August 1st, 2019, 7:09 pm

LaurelFaye wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 2:26 pm
i appreciate your help, but i'm having trouble with the software. i think i have a different version than you do because i'm not able to follow your directions in order to fix the audio clip.

How can you see how many decibels a clip reaches? I'd like to use your suggestion of adjusting my microphone and start fresh and make sure the decibels are in range on the new clip.

also, the instructions for noise reduction don't compute with my version of the software. do i want the noise reduction to be set higher or lower?

thanks again... i have tried my best to make it work. i think it sounds better, but i'm still not sure how to double check on the decibels and such so i can proof my own stuff before sending it out.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_laurelfaye.mp3
You nailed it!

For checking everything download the Checker utility (go to the listeners and editors wanted forum and click the one called you can check your own tech specs)

Have fun recording for real!

Test marked OK by cowguy02
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Bealby

LaurelFaye

Post by LaurelFaye » August 1st, 2019, 7:58 pm

Great! Thanks so much for your help.

I noticed you had a few projects that need readers. Are there any you feel like I'd be a good match for? I'd love to get started sooner than later. thanks

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » August 2nd, 2019, 8:36 am

Sure! I think that you would fit well with The Life Of Harriet Stuart OR Freckles. You would also fit nicely into the dramatic read The Blind Brother (were you read all the lines of one character instead of doing a chapter)

But really we don't discriminate-you can read whatever you want :thumbs: thats one of the joys of librivoxing.

When your ready to claim just post the section number you want the in the forum thread of the respective project. I'll be right along to put you into the magic window :)

**FIRST TIME ONLY: Whatever project you choose for your first recording please also post the name you want to appear as in the Catalog your BC (whoever it coordinating the project you join) will need to create your profile before your added to the project.

I hope to see you show up in one of my threads :D
~Luke Castle

Bealby