One Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
tonnyx

Post by tonnyx » July 11th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Hello everyone! I have a little time this summer so I was thinking about doing some recordings before I have to start teaching again.

My One Minute Test

Recording with MacBook Pro, Audacity, Blue Yeti USB mic.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 13th, 2019, 7:11 am

Welcome!

It sounds good, and the settings are correct! The volume is a smidge low, however. Could you move your mic slider up maybe 1/2 notch? Not very much; just a bit.

The other thing I noticed was that in the beginning, there is a mid-to-high pitch whistle. Do you hear it? You can clean it right out with the Notch Filter.

Quick, easy instruction for this particular whistle tone:
- Highlight your whole recording
- Go to Effects / Notch Filter
- Put in 1022 as the frequency, and something like 8 for the Q

More complicated instructions for determining what the frequency is:
- Highlight part of the recording where you aren't speaking, but where you hear the whistle. (I used a spot near the 3-second mark.)
- Go to Analyze / Plot Spectrum
- You'll see a graph that looks like a weird mountain range, or a route elevation profile if you're into cycling or other similar sport. ;)
- Around the 1000 mark is a peak. Move your cursor over to that peak.
- Just under the graph are two numbers: cursor and peak. The peak is the one you want. You can fine tune your cursor location and see that the peak number won't change in that immediate area. In your case it's 1022.
- Use that number in the quick, easy instruction above. ;) (The Q number is more forgiving. You can experiment with it if you want to; just hit Edit/Undo to undo anything you want undone.)

Make sense?

Try making these adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88

tonnyx

Post by tonnyx » July 13th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Hi Tricia!
Thank you so much for all of the detailed information! I had never used the notch filter before. I can't actually hear the whistle in question, but I could certainly see it on the spectrum plot. I don't know if it's my cheap earbuds or my age (I have nicer headphones somewhere but I need to dig them up), but in any case, I removed anything that looked like peaks from this next recording.

Here we go again:
One Minute Test, take 2

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 14th, 2019, 5:51 am

It's A-OK!

You don't want to make too much work for yourself by removing too many peaks on all your recordings. :) But I admit it could be hard to know which the young'uns would hear vs what you hear.

Anyway, you're all set. Have fun recording!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88

tonnyx

Post by tonnyx » July 14th, 2019, 6:04 am

Thank you very much!