1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
RolvR

Post by RolvR » June 26th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Here is my one-minute test! I appreciate your feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rolvr

Also: My current catalogue name is RolvR (my forum name). I didn't like the sound of it while recording, so I said "Rolv Robole" in the audio file. Does anyone know how to change the catalogue name? My forum name doesn't matter. Thanks!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 28th, 2019, 2:56 am

hello Rolv and welcome back. I see you registered already a while ago ;)

thank you for your test. You narrative voice, pace and style is already optimal and nice to listen to, so that's the basics taken care of already :thumbs:

As to the technical settings, there we need to tweak a few things though before it's LV standard.

1) the volume is definitely not loud enough, only 72.7 dB. I could barely hear you ;) We accept in the range of 86-92 dB. So this would need +17 dB amplification to get into the golden mean of 89 dB. Are you using Audacity ? If so, I can give you an easy step-by-step if you need help.

2) the bitrate is wrong. Yours is variable, but we need 128 kbps constant. This gets changed in the exporting to mp3 phase (at least in Audacity).

Could you please correct these two settings (no need to re-record) and post a new uploaded link in this same thread so I can have another listen ?

Thank you :)
RolvR wrote:My current catalogue name is RolvR (my forum name). I didn't like the sound of it while recording, so I said "Rolv Robole" in the audio file. Does anyone know how to change the catalogue name? My forum name doesn't matter.
I can change your reader name, no problem. :) Better now ? https://librivox.org/reader/13392

Sonia

RolvR

Post by RolvR » July 30th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I ended up re-recording. I think both problems are gone. I forgot to run it through the Checker the first time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rolvr.mp3

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 31st, 2019, 8:09 am

File looks good now and Checker agrees. You are ready to contribute. Welcome aboard!

There is one spot in the file - at about 0:20 - where you say "actual". This word is louder than everything else, and prevents amplifying the entire file the extra 2 dB that are desired by Audacity. Later on you might want to look at ways to "compress" such peaks (we have videos on safely using compression without damaging your fine audio quality), or you could experiment to deamplify just that place before amplifying everything together. Best way is to watch record levels as you speak and noting an infrequent loud spot so you can repeat that sentence at lower volume. But what you already have here is fine.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 6th, 2019, 1:37 am

thank you so much Todd, to help out with the feedback while I was away on holidays :9:

And congrats to Rolv for passing the test :thumbs: Happy recording.

Sonia