One Minute Test by TiredBonethief

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
TiredBonethief

Post by TiredBonethief » June 26th, 2019, 9:03 am

Hello!

Here is my 1-minute test recording. I used Audacity on a Windows operating system. I'm currently using a Cyber Acoustics headset mic, until I can get something a little better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tiredbonethief.mp3

I think it's a bit quiet, but the guide said to upload the file raw, so I didn't amplify it or anything! I look forward to hearing your feedback.

-TiredBonethief

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 26th, 2019, 9:35 am

TiredBonethief wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 9:03 am
Hello!

Here is my 1-minute test recording. I used Audacity on a Windows operating system. I'm currently using a Cyber Acoustics headset mic, until I can get something a little better.

I think it's a bit quiet, but the guide said to upload the file raw, so I didn't amplify it or anything! I look forward to hearing your feedback.

-TiredBonethief
I'll let the experts approve you, but the recording is nice but quite quiet. If you analyze the file with ReplayGain, you'll see your some 12 decibels too quiet.

I normalize the file using ReplayGain---don't tell---but others say not to do so. There must be a better way and I'll be glad to read about it here!
E agora, José?

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » June 27th, 2019, 9:03 am

Hi, you sound great! :thumbs:

All the technical stuff is correct. Only one thing to fix, namely volume.

It is a bit soft. We aim for 89 (and generally accept anthing between 87 and 91). Your test is about 76. If you can increase the input volume when you record, I recommend you do that. If that is impossible, or it doesn't get high enough no matter what you do, you can amplify in Audacity. It is not hard:
Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification 13. You will probably need to noiseclean after amplifying.

Please have a go at making a louder test or editing this one to make it fall within the volume range. Upload and post again in this thread so we can listen again. You're almost there! :D
Kathrine

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 27th, 2019, 10:29 am

kathrinee wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 9:03 am
Hi, you sound great! :thumbs:

All the technical stuff is correct. Only one thing to fix, namely volume.

It is a bit soft. We aim for 89 (and generally accept anthing between 87 and 91). Your test is about 76. If you can increase the input volume when you record, I recommend you do that. If that is impossible, or it doesn't get high enough no matter what you do, you can amplify in Audacity. It is not hard:
Select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify and use the setting Amplification 13. You will probably need to noiseclean after amplifying.

Please have a go at making a louder test or editing this one to make it fall within the volume range. Upload and post again in this thread so we can listen again. You're almost there! :D
I learned something too! Thank you!
E agora, José?

TiredBonethief

Post by TiredBonethief » June 30th, 2019, 8:57 am

Hello!

Thank you for your feedback! My microphone just seems to be really quiet so I amplified the clip and used noise reduction - it sounds much better now! I also found a sound-checker so I can monitor how loud my recordings are, and it is in the right range now. Here is the new test recording:

I look forward to hearing from you again to see if there is anything else I can do improve my recordings! :)

-Jessica.