1 minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Wahanui

Post by Wahanui » May 19th, 2019, 7:04 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_wahanui_raw.mp3

Recorder: iPad Gen 6
Software: Voice Record
Microphone: BM 700 Condenser w/Phantom power

Other than MP3 Settings - Everything else was done on default settings. I am able to transfer the files to a PC with Audacity if I need to - But i dont know how to use it and would be grateful for any guidance

Please and Thank you

Wahanui

Post by Wahanui » May 22nd, 2019, 1:22 am

Would really appreciate some feedback - I'm not happy with the sound quality.
If you cant give technical feel free to leave constructive criticism on the delivery

Please and Thank you in advance

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » May 22nd, 2019, 2:53 am

hi John and welcome to the forum :)

I had a listen to your test and your reading is clear and understandable. I also love your deep voice, it's so agreeable to listen to. As to sound quality, to my ears it sounds fine. Maybe I detect a bit of background noise, but it's nothing too disturbing.

Some technical settings need to get corrected though before I can mark this ok. It would be really helpful if you could get used to Audacity. The program is very easy to handle once you know w few basic tools. But if you can work with another program, that's totally fine as well. The main point is that the outcome is correct ;)

1. your recording is in Stereo but we need it in Mono.
Now in Audacity you would see two windows stacked with the same recording waves.
> go to Tracks
> select Stereo track to Mono (your two "windows" will merge into one)

2. your volume is too low. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, preferably as close to the average of 89 dB as possible. Yours only comes in at 83.4 dB. I would recommend amplifying with 6 dB, then you are in the perfect middle. In Audacity this is easily done:
> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 6 (in your case now) in the first upper slot (called: "amplification dB")
> press ok

That's it. Could you please repost your new link in this same thread so I can have another listen ?

Thanks

Sonia

Wahanui

Post by Wahanui » May 23rd, 2019, 5:27 am

Hello Sonia, Thank you for the feedback and the warm welcome.

Even though I have spoken into microphones for most of my life I still think my recorded voice sounds funny.

For the record I do have Audacity installed on my PC but the fan noise is such that recording near it is out of the question. that is why I opted for the iPad in a seperate room. No Fan noise

However with your feed back, I have discovered an easy transfer method and have completed the your invaluable instructions. Please listen and advise

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_wahanui_m88db.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » May 23rd, 2019, 5:53 am

Wahanui wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 5:27 am
Even though I have spoken into microphones for most of my life I still think my recorded voice sounds funny.
don't worry about that, I think we all experience the same uncanny feeling when we first hear ourselves. I think this will pass one day. For example, I think that I sound ultra-strange when I hear myself on an answering machine for the phone. :?
For the record I do have Audacity installed on my PC but the fan noise is such that recording near it is out of the question. that is why I opted for the iPad in a seperate room. No Fan noise
yes that is wise. Something else you could try is: are you able to run the computer on battery ? With a laptop that should work. Because the fan-noise is extremely reduced when you run on battery. I only record on battery and edit my stuff when I have to plug in the computer to recharge them
However with your feed back, I have discovered an easy transfer method and have completed the your invaluable instructions. Please listen and advise
:clap: excellent, you managed to make it into mono and the volume is optimal now.

So if you are using Audacity now, I can give you a good advice for noise-cleaning:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

It works wonders ;) Now for this test, if it was an official recording, I myself probably would have run the noise-cleaning function once, just to make it even cleaner. But for the purposes of this test, your file is absolutely fine. I just mentioned it, in case you want to try it out for yourself. But no need to reupload anything.

So I won't hold you up any longer :wink: Here is your official OK and you are free to participate in any project on offer. Maybe I hear you one day in one of mine where I am prooflistening.

Have fun on here !

Sonia

Wahanui

Post by Wahanui » May 23rd, 2019, 2:43 pm

:shock: Wwoooooooww :!: What a difference. :D

Buzzed to be part of the community. Thank you.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » May 23rd, 2019, 11:00 pm

Wahanui wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 2:43 pm
:shock: Wwoooooooww :!: What a difference. :D
what exactly now ? You tried the noise-cleaning, or recording with the laptop on battery ? I agree, both will make a lot of difference. Glad you tried it out.

Have fun !

Sonia