One Minute Test - JSmolders [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
JSmolders
Posts: 13
Joined: May 5th, 2019, 12:06 am

Post by JSmolders » May 18th, 2019, 5:24 am

Hi folks, here is my one minute test recording
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jsmolders.mp3

I used Audacity 2.1.3 on Windows 10. Hardware was USBPre 2 by Sound Devices and an audio-technica power module AT8531

Had some trouble where if I tried recording in mono in Audacity all sound got cut off at 0.5 amplitude. So I recorded in Mono on the USBPre and Stereo in Audacity, then split to mono and force exported mono. Other than that the recording is completely raw, no amplification or noise reduction. Recorded in 48000 Hz, 24-bit, exported to mp3 at constant bit rate, 256kps.

Please let me know if it sounds like a good base! In actual contributions I would of course at the least do noise reduction, and probably not export at a constant bit rate.

Josh
Josh Smolders
“There is no such thing as an ugly accent, like there’s no such thing as an ugly flower.” ~David Crystal, linguist

lymiewithpurpose
Posts: 1812
Joined: January 18th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Location: California

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 18th, 2019, 1:25 pm

JSmolders wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 5:24 am
Hi folks, here is my one minute test recording
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jsmolders.mp3

I used Audacity 2.1.3 on Windows 10. Hardware was USBPre 2 by Sound Devices and an audio-technica power module AT8531

Had some trouble where if I tried recording in mono in Audacity all sound got cut off at 0.5 amplitude. So I recorded in Mono on the USBPre and Stereo in Audacity, then split to mono and force exported mono. Other than that the recording is completely raw, no amplification or noise reduction. Recorded in 48000 Hz, 24-bit, exported to mp3 at constant bit rate, 256kps.

Please let me know if it sounds like a good base! In actual contributions I would of course at the least do noise reduction, and probably not export at a constant bit rate.

Josh
Hey there, and welcome. It sounds like you know what you are doing, so I will just list what needs fixing and you can let me know if you need instructions.
  • I agree with you, I would do noise reduction
  • The sampling rate needs to be 48000
  • The bit rate needs to be 128 kbps constant (yes I know you already have it at constant, mentioning it so you don't use variable for any recordings
Just to make sure everything works right, please make these changes and re upload. I'll take another look.
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

JSmolders
Posts: 13
Joined: May 5th, 2019, 12:06 am

Post by JSmolders » May 18th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Hi there, thanks for the instructions. Just double checking, sample rate is 48000, not 44100? I ask because you mentioned the sample rate even when I already had it at 48000.

Josh
Josh Smolders
“There is no such thing as an ugly accent, like there’s no such thing as an ugly flower.” ~David Crystal, linguist

lymiewithpurpose
Posts: 1812
Joined: January 18th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Location: California

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 18th, 2019, 8:53 pm

JSmolders wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 8:46 pm
Hi there, thanks for the instructions. Just double checking, sample rate is 48000, not 44100? I ask because you mentioned the sample rate even when I already had it at 48000.

Josh
Ah sorry, it should be 44100. I guess I wrote it wrong. Nice catch.
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31708
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » May 18th, 2019, 8:54 pm

using a direct quote from a working thread - glad you picked up the slip
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
Anne

Campbell - will you edit your response so that any future reader will not be confused

JSmolders
Posts: 13
Joined: May 5th, 2019, 12:06 am

Post by JSmolders » May 19th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Ok, here is the updated version
44100 Hz, 128kbps constant, mono, noise reduced.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jsmolders.mp3
Josh Smolders
“There is no such thing as an ugly accent, like there’s no such thing as an ugly flower.” ~David Crystal, linguist

lymiewithpurpose
Posts: 1812
Joined: January 18th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Location: California

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 20th, 2019, 6:56 am

JSmolders wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 11:31 pm
Ok, here is the updated version
44100 Hz, 128kbps constant, mono, noise reduced.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jsmolders.mp3
Perfect, it is all better now. Nice work (especially in catching my slip) and you have the OK to record.
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

JSmolders
Posts: 13
Joined: May 5th, 2019, 12:06 am

Post by JSmolders » May 20th, 2019, 8:27 am

Can't wait! Thanks
Josh Smolders
“There is no such thing as an ugly accent, like there’s no such thing as an ugly flower.” ~David Crystal, linguist

Post Reply