1-Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
flimflam

Post by flimflam » May 8th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Here is my 1-minute test, thanks for your time!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1_minute_test_flimflam.mp3

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 8th, 2019, 5:16 pm

flimflam wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 2:09 pm
Here is my 1-minute test, thanks for your time!

Hey there, welcome. And, nice recording. Can't wait to have you start! Let's work on a few tech issues first. I don't know what recording software you use so I can't give instructions, but if you let me know I may be able to point you in the right direction. Here is a list of the issues:
  • You have quite a bit of background noise that might be nice to clean up
  • Your volume is loud at 95.7 dbs, we need 86-92 with 89 preferred
  • We need mono sound, not stereo
Downloading the program Checker can help you check it by yourself! If you figure this out, please re upload, post in this thread, and I'll take another look. Otherwise, if you send me what software you're using I can help you out there.
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

flimflam

Post by flimflam » May 9th, 2019, 6:26 am

Thanks for your feedback.

I am using Audacity as my recording software.

>> Your volume is loud at 95.7 dbs, we need 86-92 with 89 preferred

I applied the 'Amplify' effect with a target peak of '-0.5'. Is there a better way to fix the volume?

>> You have quite a bit of background noise that might be nice to clean up

I tried using the Noise Reduction tool. I'll see if I can make the settings more aggressive.

>> We need mono sound, not stereo

I should be able to fix this for the next attempt.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 9th, 2019, 6:39 am

flimflam wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 6:26 am
I applied the 'Amplify' effect with a target peak of '-0.5'. Is there a better way to fix the volume?
I hope you meant -5. -0.5 might not do the trick for you. But yes, amplifying is a great way to do it :D.
flimflam wrote:
I tried using the Noise Reduction tool. I'll see if I can make the settings more aggressive.
In case you want my settings, I use: Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0. Could also be that you just need to run it again :mrgreen:
flimflam wrote:
I should be able to fix this for the next attempt.
Great :D
Campbell

flimflam

Post by flimflam » May 9th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Okay I tried recording and editing again:

Thanks again for your help.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 9th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Well, it worked, nice job! You have the OK to record. But did you re record or just apply these edits? Part of the point of the test is to make sure you understand the editing. But anyways, you have instructions here in case you run into any problems :P
Campbell

flimflam

Post by flimflam » May 9th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I re-recorded and applied the edits. I used the checker program also.

I used your settings for the de-noise this time. I use an extension cable on my mic in order to get a little further away from my PC and that introduces a buzz.

I amplified to -5.0 peak this time. I don't really understand the volume scale on audacity and how it relates to the dB though but as long as the setting works...

Thanks again for your help.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 9th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Ah, makes sense.
flimflam wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 3:40 pm
amplified to -5.0 peak this time. I don't really understand the volume scale on audacity and how it relates to the dB though but as long as the setting works...
Ok, think I may have read your previous post wrong. When looking at the amplify function, I tend to look at the first box (the Amplification DB one). That is what I thought you were talking about. And so amplifying it by -5 dbs would have gotten it down to 89. I tend not to play around with the peak range, as for me it is not specific enough for me. I usually run the recording through checker and see what it tells me. Then, I amplify by how much it tells me I need to (89 minus it's value). I have not played around with the peak volume, yet it seems to have worked for you! Hope I didn't confuse you more
Campbell