1 min test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ » May 7th, 2019, 8:29 am

feedback / constructive criticism appreciated

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm

NarratorJ wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 8:29 am
my 1 minute test
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_NarratorJ.mp3
thank you
Hey there, welcome. You had a lovely recording. Your test was nearly perfect. But, your volume was at 85.6 dbs, and we need it from 86-92, 89 preferred. Have you downloaded the Checker program yet? This can help you see it. If you feel like you know how to increase the volume yourself, I can give you the OK to begin recording, as this was only slightly off. If you want instructions, let me know what program you are using so I can help you out.

I also want to say that your voice sounded slightly muffled to me. Did you apply noise reduction? Is there a noise reduction feature on your mic that should be turned off? Nothing to prevent you from recording, just something to think about :D. And then again, it could just be your mic.
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ » May 10th, 2019, 7:29 am

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I have since obtained the Checker. I'm using Audacity 2.3.1, on a laptop (windows) with an older mic that plugs into the 1/8" jack on the side (which I plan to upgrade before too long, any suggestions?). I did apply the noise reduction, will that muffle things?
As far as the volume goes, I am brand new to Audacity, and have watched quite a few of Phil's videos (quite helpful), would I be better off using the amplify or the normalize effect?
Appreciate the help, thanks

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 10th, 2019, 7:36 am

NarratorJ wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:29 am
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I have since obtained the Checker. I'm using Audacity 2.3.1, on a laptop (windows) with an older mic that plugs into the 1/8" jack on the side (which I plan to upgrade before too long, any suggestions?). I did apply the noise reduction, will that muffle things?
As far as the volume goes, I am brand new to Audacity, and have watched quite a few of Phil's videos (quite helpful), would I be better off using the amplify or the normalize effect?
Appreciate the help, thanks
Ah, the mic could do it too. I am not the best at mic suggestions. Honestly, I just went onto Amazon and found the cheapest desktop I could find, and it's worked for me. As for noise reduction, the only ways it could muffle is if you applied it too many times or if you selected part of your voice when getting your profile. If you don't think you did either, probably the mic.

That's a tougher question. Both have advantages. Normalize can be faster, but less accurate and you may have to find yourself amplifying anyways. Amplifying is more accurate but takes longer to figure out how much you need to amplify by. I don't know if you saw this in the videos, but there is a neat little tool called ReplayGain that can show you how much to amplify by. But it has two options, analyze or normalize. I tend to use the normalize function and then compress it so the peaks aren't too high (I had to play around with the numbers on how much to normalize it), but now when I run that I get nearly to exactly 89 every single time. So it's personal preference too. Hope this helps
Campbell

NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ » May 10th, 2019, 7:53 am

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 10th, 2019, 8:01 am

NarratorJ wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:53 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_narratorj2.mp3

better?
thanks
It is slight, but yes it seems slightly better to me. Nice work. What did you try?
Campbell

NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ » May 10th, 2019, 8:19 am

Checker showed 85.6, I amplified 3.4, took another sample in the end silence, and reapplied the noise reduction. checker then showed 88.5.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 10th, 2019, 8:26 am

NarratorJ wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 8:19 am
Checker showed 85.6, I amplified 3.4, took another sample in the end silence, and reapplied the noise reduction. checker then showed 88.5.
Ah gotcha. Glad it worked. See you around!
Campbell

NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ » May 10th, 2019, 8:30 am

Just to clarify, that's and official OK then?
thanks for the help

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 10th, 2019, 8:33 am

NarratorJ wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 8:30 am
Just to clarify, that's and official OK then?
thanks for the help
Sorry for not being clear. Yes, that is an OK!
Campbell

NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ » May 10th, 2019, 8:38 am

:clap: Great! See you around.