Please listen

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Norma77

Post by Norma77 » April 24th, 2019, 12:52 pm

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 24th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Hello there, welcome to LibriVox! You have a quite lovely voice for recording :D. Before you can begin, however, there are a few things to sort out.

The first is your bit rate. Yours currently is at 94 kpbs variable, we need it constant 128.

You have a very high amount of background noise that should be reduced.

What recording software do you use? If it is Audacity I can give you more instructions, if not I can point you to some place that may help you. If you can figure this out without help then please re upload and post in this thread so I can take a listen :D
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

Norma77

Post by Norma77 » April 25th, 2019, 12:46 pm

thanks for your prompt reply!
Yes I am using Audicity. I am new to all of this. I had to buy my first microphone but I am doing what I can without any help. Thanks for offering helping me. I dont' know how to set up my bips lower, I did notice it was much higher but could not fix it. Can you please guide me? Also, I don't have any idea how to clear the background sound..
Looking forwar to hear from you....

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 25th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Norma77 wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 12:46 pm
thanks for your prompt reply!
Yes I am using Audicity. I am new to all of this. I had to buy my first microphone but I am doing what I can without any help. Thanks for offering helping me. I dont' know how to set up my bips lower, I did notice it was much higher but could not fix it. Can you please guide me? Also, I don't have any idea how to clear the background sound..
Looking forwar to hear from you....
Perfect! Don't worry about being new, we've all been there :P.

First of all, when playing with your track, I noticed something that I didn't catch last time. It appears your volume is a bit high, and you actually have some clipping. If you go to menu options View>Show Clipping, it will show a bright red line whenever you have this issue. To resolve this, you will need to go up to the top leftish corner of audacity and decrease the microphone slider bar. This will make it so it intakes the volume at a lower level, but you will have to re record to get this lower level.

This should help a bit with the background noise. However, you will still most likely have some. To fix this, you would:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.
7. Take a listen, you may find that you want to do this over again to reduce more noise.

Finally, the last issue is your bit rate. This is a simple fix too:
1.Go to export it (menu items file>export)
2. Look under the Format Options section
3.Where it says 'Bit Rate Mode', select 'Constant'
4. In the 'Quality' drop down menu select 128 kbps.

I would also recommend downloading the program Checker. This will help you be able to check some of your settings yourself. Unfortunately, I am going to have to ask you to re record here :cry:. Clipping is not so great a thing. But, if you lower your slider just a little bit that should help :D. Then, you can reduce the noise, fix the bit rate, and re upload. Once you post in this thread I shall listen again. Let me know if you have any questions!
Campbell

Norma77

Post by Norma77 » April 25th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Thanks for the great advise. I did all the corrections needed. Except, I can not find the way to reduce the volume target range. Please advice.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_norma77.mp3

Norma77

Post by Norma77 » April 25th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Thanks for the great advise. I did all the corrections needed. Except, I can not find the way to reduce the volume target range. I lowered the bars on the little microphone in Audacity, but I found the icon on the right side of the screen not the leftish side as you described. I wonder if this is not what I needed to do. Please advice.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 25th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Norma77 wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 5:29 pm
Thanks for the great advise. I did all the corrections needed. Except, I can not find the way to reduce the volume target range. I lowered the bars on the little microphone in Audacity, but I found the icon on the right side of the screen not the leftish side as you described. I wonder if this is not what I needed to do. Please advice.

I guess we have different versions then, because this time the volume was much quieter :D. Did you get the Checker program yet? That will be a nice tool for you. Right now it is at 77 dbs, again we'd like it around 89. So you can play around with adjusting that mic slider (maybe in the middle of your two tests(, but I'm not going to make you re record again. Just play around because obviously you know how to do it :D. What I am going to teach you is the amplify function. This will make your recording louder. To use it:
1. Select your entire recording
2. Go to menu items Effect>Amplify
3. Enter whatever number you need to get to 89 (in this case 11.9) in the first box
4. Hit OK.
This should get you to the required range

Once you do this, you may want to take a listen for any background noise. You will most likely find that you will want to clean it up. Anyways, the tech specs are all good, just this one little issue. One more try please, don't get discouraged! We are almost there, and you are getting a nice Audacity tutorial in the meantime :mrgreen:
Campbell

Norma77

Post by Norma77 » April 26th, 2019, 11:28 am

You are so patient, thanks!
Yes, I already have the Checker since yesterday and I passed it with warnings yesterday. Today I did what you advised and it passed the checker!. However, I followed your instructions but could not find my dB anywhere! I just added what you said it was needed. Can you point at me where do I find the 89 dB requested in the Audacity screen for my future reference?

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 26th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Norma77 wrote:
April 26th, 2019, 11:28 am
You are so patient, thanks!
Yes, I already have the Checker since yesterday and I passed it with warnings yesterday. Today I did what you advised and it passed the checker!. However, I followed your instructions but could not find my dB anywhere! I just added what you said it was needed. Can you point at me where do I find the 89 dB requested in the Audacity screen for my future reference?

Perfect, nice job! Everything is great, so I can give you the OK to record. So you're actually going to find the volume on the Checker program (that's why I stressed it so much :D). There should be two tabs, 'Validation' and 'Information'. If you go to the 'Information' tab, it lists the volume on that page. Hope that works, let me know if you have questions :).
Campbell

Norma77

Post by Norma77 » April 26th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Thanks so much for all your help!
I will start with some poems, but I really would love to do a solo. I found a video on how to place a short poem but I have not found anything so far that explains the process of doing a solo.... Where should I look for information?

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 26th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Norma77 wrote:
April 26th, 2019, 12:30 pm
Thanks so much for all your help!
I will start with some poems, but I really would love to do a solo. I found a video on how to place a short poem but I have not found anything so far that explains the process of doing a solo.... Where should I look for information?
No problem! That's a good idea to start with some poems. Lets you see how this place works, and also gives you a sense of how long recording takes! Once you feel ready, there are a few places to look. If you are more into the videos, Phil (one of our lovely admins) has made a nice video on that here. For more detail and for a reading version, there is a nice thread here. Hope this helps.
Campbell

Norma77

Post by Norma77 » April 26th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Thanks😊