1-Minute Test by dirkx [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
dirkx

Post by dirkx » April 15th, 2019, 8:59 am

Good Morning!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_dirkx.mp3

I'm using Audacity 2.3.1 running on macOS Mojave 10.14.4, recording on an iPhone 6s.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...I realize an external mike is the way to go, but as I'm just getting started I wanted to use what I have before investing in gear.

Thank you for your time!

Brian Dirkx

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 16th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Hi Brian! Thanks for submitting your test! Nice work, it passes technical specifications! There is one thing that you might want to do for a matter of pride, and that is clean up the background noise a tad. Right now it is exceptionally minimal, so very optional, but if you wanted to:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.

Since this is so minimal and optional, I am pleased to give you the OK to begin recording! Have fun, and I'll see you around the forum!
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

dirkx

Post by dirkx » April 17th, 2019, 10:09 am

Hi Campbell,

Thanks for taking the time, and for the instruction! For the learning experience (and the pride! :D ) I cleaned up the background noise in Audacity using the settings you suggested:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_dirkxtake2.mp3

Incidentally, I BestBuy is currently running a clearance sale on the Blue Yeti 'Blackout Edition' mic that is bundled with some video game for about $76 including shipping, and I couldn't resist so I grabbed one. I'll submit another test once I receive & set it up.

Thanks again!

Brian

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 17th, 2019, 11:01 am

dirkx wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 10:09 am
Hi Campbell,

Thanks for taking the time, and for the instruction! For the learning experience (and the pride! :D ) I cleaned up the background noise in Audacity using the settings you suggested:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_dirkxtake2.mp3

Incidentally, I BestBuy is currently running a clearance sale on the Blue Yeti 'Blackout Edition' mic that is bundled with some video game for about $76 including shipping, and I couldn't resist so I grabbed one. I'll submit another test once I receive & set it up.

Thanks again!

Brian
Perfect! That recording is spotless! You did great cleaning it up, the noise is exceptionally minimal now! Nice work :D. You now know how to use this feature (most of us use it for nearly every recording we submit, very handy!), and I hope you have recording!

That's amazing about that deal! I do have to admit, I'm a bit stingy and won't spend over $20 on a mic 8-), but that means my quality isn't as good as others'. Have fun playing with it! If you want to post that test to this same thread, that may work out better for you. I get notifications and can hop on here pretty quickly, so it may be faster than waiting for someone to notice :D. Have fun!
Campbell

dirkx

Post by dirkx » April 24th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Hey Campbell,

Got my Yeti up & running, what do you think?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_dirkxblueyeti.mp3

Thanks!

Brian

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 24th, 2019, 2:02 pm

dirkx wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Hey Campbell,

Got my Yeti up & running, what do you think?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_dirkxblueyeti.mp3

Thanks!

Brian
Wow, sounded great! Tech specs were good again, nice clear quality, no background noise, great on all levels! I loved your choice for a script. If you were to have a plosives problem that would have been caught, and you don't, so keep everything the same (or at lest try to, can't always keep everything the same :wink:). Have fun, and I hope to see you around!
Campbell

dirkx

Post by dirkx » April 24th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Thanks Campbell--I figured you might get bored listening to the same old test script all the time so I thought I would give you something different!

Take Care,

Brian

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 24th, 2019, 5:50 pm

dirkx wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 5:47 pm
Thanks Campbell--I figured you might get bored listening to the same old test script all the time so I thought I would give you something different!

Take Care,

Brian
It can get a bit repetitive.... but this one was quite interesting :D! You can never go wrong with pirates :wink:. And it also achieves the same goal of checking for plosives, so it's a great one :mrgreen:
Campbell