1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
frothedup

Post by frothedup » April 8th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Mita.
I'm a new member to LibriVox and I hope I can contribute as a reader to the community.

Here is my 1-minute test recording.

I recorded it using my iphone actually as my mic is still stuck in another country.
The program I used is Audacity in MacBook Air. I amplified the track as I thought it was a bit quiet, let me know If I'm not suppose to do that.
At the moment because of the lack of microphone, I'm hoping I can at least get input on my pronunciation, whether it is clear or accented, etc. And if the quality is good enough then if it's possible to use iphone mic to record.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_test.mp3

Many thanks!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » April 11th, 2019, 10:50 am

Hi Mita and welcome to the forum :)

thank you for your test. The technical settings are all ok and your reading voice, enunciation and pace are all perfect to listen to :thumbs: Nothing wrong with pronunciation, I think you speak very clearly.

The only problem is the audio quality, unfortunately and I believe it has something to do with your iphone. The background noise is quite pronounced. There is probably nothing wrong with recording with the phone, but you would still need an editing program (like Audacity) to clean up the file a bit. You said you are using Audacity already, so I can guide you through it.

Actually, your recording is too loud. It's over 93 dB and we only accept in the range of 86-92 dB. Preferred average would be 89 dB. No need to re-record, simply use the "amplify" function:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -3 (don't forget the MINUS sign !) in the upper first slot (called "amplification dB")
> press ok

Then for the noise-cleaning, do the following:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> my settings here are: Noise reduction: 12 / Sensitivity: 6 / Frequency smoothing: 0
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

I tried this function and I ran it TWICE to get to an agreeable background level. Could you do these two corrections to your test please, the way I showed you and then reupload in this same thread, so I can have another listen ?

Thanks ! And if there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. :)

And as soon as your microphone arrives, I guess the quality will improve ;) But the amplify and noise-cleaning functions are two tools that every reader here probably uses on a daily basis, so it's good to know them from the start. :mrgreen:

Sonia

frothedup

Post by frothedup » April 14th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Thank you for listening, Sonia.

I did the changes you requested in this recording. I hope it's fine now.

One question though. How do I see what db my recording is at? So that I know when to amplify my track or not.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » April 15th, 2019, 1:35 am

frothedup wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 10:30 pm
I did the changes you requested in this recording. I hope it's fine now.
excellent, yes, this works. I suspect you only ran the noise-cleaning procedure once ;) because there was still a bit too much background noise. I suggested running it twice in a row. But that's ok, you know how to do the noise-cleaning now, and that's the purpose of this tutoring session. I would say, as long as you use this recording device, doing a double noise-cleaning may benefit your audio quality.
One question though. How do I see what db my recording is at? So that I know when to amplify my track or not.
ah yes, there is a handy plug-in for Audacity, that calculates the amount of dB that you are off from 89 dB. So if you run that, simply insert this number it gives you into the Amplify box (the way I showed you) and it will get you close to 89 dB.
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
Additionally, if you want to check your background noise and other technical settings, you can use the Checker on your finished mp3 file. It will tell you if anything is still wrong before you upload to the LV server. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

But this test will get the OK from me now. You have learnt two important functions in Audacity now and I think the rest will be "improving by doing". ;)

Have fun with your first sections !

Sonia